New tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Rab bhoy

Reaction score
hi, donā€™t know if this sounds stupid, my lights on my tank are on a timer and Iā€™ve just discovered that when the lights are turned off at night it is also turning my filter off as they are on the same power source, anyway I can separate them so filter keeps going 24 hours.
Iā€™ve got a 64litre love fish panorama tank from pets at home

Hi welcome to the forum. If your filter is being turned off over night you are likely loosing most if not all of your beneficial bacteria. I would do some water tests asap to find out what your levels are like.

What sort of fish do you have in there and how long has the tank been running?

thanks Wills

Plug the filter cord directly into an outlet that is not on the timer. Filters must run 24/7 or you can lose fish. Aside from the bacteria inn the filter, which could survive this, there is the issue of water circulation that brings oxygen into the water and removes CO2. And the flow from the filter evens temperature.

I have my tanks' lights on timers, but only the light fixture is plugged into the timer; filters and heaters are plugged directly into the power source.

Hi welcome to the forum. If your filter is being turned off over night you are likely loosing most if not all of your beneficial bacteria. I would do some water tests asap to find out what your levels are like.

What sort of fish do you have in there and how long has the tank been running?

thanks Wills
I
Plug the filter cord directly into an outlet that is not on the timer. Filters must run 24/7 or you can lose fish. Aside from the bacteria inn the filter, which could survive this, there is the issue of water circulation that brings oxygen into the water and removes CO2. And the flow from the filter evens temperature.

I have my tanks' lights on timers, but only the light fixture is plugged into the timer; filters and heaters are plugged directly into the power source.
hi, Iā€™ve lost a lot of fish and didnā€™t know what was causing it, I didnā€™t realise the filter and light both went off with my timer, is the filter supply 240 volts, if it is I can put it into a separate source to keep it going 24/7, itā€™s been a costly lesson, I went into pets at home for some advice and they didnā€™t have a clue what to do

I

hi, Iā€™ve lost a lot of fish and didnā€™t know what was causing it, I didnā€™t realise the filter and light both went off with my timer, is the filter supply 240 volts, if it is I can put it into a separate source to keep it going 24/7, itā€™s been a costly lesson, I went into pets at home for some advice and they didnā€™t have a clue what to do

I don't know where you live, but equipment like filters, heaters (do you have a heater?) and lighting sold in stores should work if plugged into your electricity. Check on the packaging.

Please can you give us some more info about your tank and fish :) What size tank, how many fish and what species etc? Also let us know how long the tank has been running and what sort of fish you have lost.

By saying Pets at Home I'll take a guess you are in the UK :) Pets at Home are good for some stuff but generally if you need a local shop for advice I would go to a Maidenhead Aquatics if there is one near you. Where abouts are you? County or nearest big city might help us point you in the direction of a good shop that can help you out. Some of the best shops in the UK are in the most random of places and if you are near them its always good to pop into them.

In terms of the electric supply, most fish products should just be able to plug straight into the wall or an extension (unless you have specific wiring?) Any of the most popular brands like Fluval, Ehiem, Jewel, Aqua One etc are all designed to make things easy for us :)

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back