New Tank......Help with fish please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

littlemiss1838

Reaction score
Hi

I was just after some advice on a few fish if possible. Have always kept small tanks so only really has experience with guppys, tetras, shrimp etc. We have now invested in a 120lt (understand this may be small to alot of you still) and I was after some advice as to which fish you would recommend (or not) putting together?

Tank is cycled and we have just added 4 x cardinal tetras. The list below is fish we would like to keep in the future (obviously no intention to buy them all at once, will be a gradual process but would like an idea of what end result we want before i start stocking it).

Any of the following should be treated with caution? Wouldnt advise we add to a community tank?

Platies
Guppies
Pearl Gourami - Are these better in pairs or groups?
Corydoras
Amano Shrimp
Rainbow Shark
Bolivian Ram - Best with one or a pair?
Snails - Any recommendations as to best ones for cleaning tank?

Question is - Can the above all go together?

Obviously we dont want to put fish in that are likely to upset anything else in there. The tank is planted with a few hiding places.

Also, can anyone suggest any colourful fish that i could add to the list? preferably ones that are happy alone or in pairs as i will have groups of the cardinals, platies and guppies so do not want to over do it?

Thanks in advance for any help

Welcome to TFF!

What are your water parameters, KH & GH? Cardinal tetras are soft water fish, while platies live in hard water...

Hi

Thanks for reply.

Its reading 120 & 180, with a PH of 7.0

I also took a water sample to our local aquatic centre, who advised us to add the cardinal. I was also advised that in our area the water source is renowned for being hard?

There are products you can get and things you can do to soften your water though it tends to be easier to simply stick with hard water fish? I have extremely hard water in my areas as well. I love my Rainbow Shark though I advise you I have recently heard that they get more aggressive as they get older. Whenever I am stocking a tank I simply google the parameters for the fish, Temp, pH, hardness, etc. and write em all down, everything has a range. whatever matches other's range (or overlaps) should be good together technically but some species of fish automatically don't get along. For example though both Platy and some Mbuna match in specs, the Mbuna will attack the Platy. If you Google Fish Compatability Chart (Or click this link: URL) you will be able to figure out which can be together.

I would also advise looking up how large the tanks should be for each species? I think the Rainbow Shark might need more room than 120 Liters

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back