New Tank And Guppies Died

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ammonia 1.5-2ppm

nitrite 5ppm upwards

ph has dropped to 7.6 on the high ph range

we also got a plant from pet shop yesterday and have put that in the tank minus the snails lol

on a serious note I would guess it is some king of bacterial bloom? a photo of it would help if at all possible. I've heard about this but not seen it!

you'll be amazed at the results you get when you search the forum for 'white fluff' it appears to be very common and nothing to worry about, try it! here's an extract I found:

In your case gavy, what you're seeing is sure to be bacterial biofilm. Since bacteria of many types will colonize all the interior surfaces of a tank (once chlorine/chloramine is removed from the water it becomes their perfect home environment of course confused.gif ) you will see these telltale signs of their colonies. They are completely harmless and actually a sign of a healthy tank getting started up. They will eventually just go away as the tank matures. There's also nothing wrong with cleaning them, but if you're doing a fishless cycle the preference is to just leave all this stuff in the name of not disturbing any of the overall bacterial startup.

Virtually all of the bacterial colonization we care about is in the filter where there is a nice flow of fresh oxygen and ammonia that encourages the bacteria to divide and grow. But at the very start of fishless cycling, there are very few of the two species you're hoping to encourage and so its wise to just let them be left alone to grow whereever they happen to stick and begin a little colony. It could very well be that a few that started out in the tank will divide and send off floaters that will get lodged in the filter and help those spots get initiated.

Anyway, just mentioning this for gavy. In fillthehole's case, we don't really know what percentage of the white fluff getting shot out of the Fluval is really pieces of biofilm or just other particles that haven't been mechanically trapped by the filter. Certainly an interesting set of info there from strangeworld.. feel like my Fluval education has been enhanced, since I've never had one myself.

~~waterdrop~~

thank you,will try and get a pic tomorrow, so ill just leave it

also do i need to get some liquid fertiliser for the plant or will it be ok

ammonia is now zero every 12 hours, nitrites still spiking

don't make the same mistake I did, only top up ammonia every 24 hours you don't have to top it up every time it gets to zero i.e every 12 hours just keep it to 24 hours. Nitrite takes longer to process and will therefore be spiking all the time if you are continually dosing with ammonia.
You could do a large water change of say 70--90% and then test, dose with ammonia and do another 12 hour test. you may find that brings your nitrite down.

Dogson

don't make the same mistake I did, only top up ammonia every 24 hours you don't have to top it up every time it gets to zero i.e every 12 hours just keep it to 24 hours. Nitrite takes longer to process and will therefore be spiking all the time if you are continually dosing with ammonia.
You could do a large water change of say 70--90% and then test, dose with ammonia and do another 12 hour test. you may find that brings your nitrite down.

Dogson

will do that tonight, some one from bounty (a baby site) has sent me her filter media from her tank as she's not going to use it anymore, ive taken my filter apart and have added it to mine, will this help

hi guys, my tank has cycled, has done since friday last week

Yeay! Congrats :)
I'd been following your post as a newbie as it's been pretty educational!

So what are your plans in terms of stocking it?

Yeay! Congrats :)
I'd been following your post as a newbie as it's been pretty educational!

So what are your plans in terms of stocking it?

ty, going to get some catfish 1st then no idea lol will prob just see what we like in the fish place

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back