New here - something's up with my cycling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You could try Tetra SafeStart Plus to jump start your tank or go for a planted/silent cycle like I do. Another issue may be with the Chlorine and chloramine that some city use. The water conditioner neautlizes the chlorine but leaves a form of ammonia behind with the chloramine which will show up in some test. This type of ammonia is not dangerous to fish like regular ammonia is.
Interesting. But the problem is, is I don't have nitrites or nitrates either...

The Tetra SafeStart Plus had the correct bacteria for your tank, if your plants are absorbing all the regular ammonia in the tank you will not have nitrites and nitrates.

The Tetra SafeStart Plus had the correct bacteria for your tank, if your plants are absorbing all the regular ammonia in the tank you will not have nitrites and nitrates.
I didn't add any Tetra SafeStart. It's not available in my area unfortunately.

Do they have Dr. Tims Aquatics?

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 64
What kind of filter media do you have? Bacteria needs surfaces to grow, i use lava rock. Its super porous (lots of area for bacteria to grow)is inert is light and inexpensive. I just dump it right in my hang on back filter, if a canister filter put it in one of the baskets. After that i just use fish food maybe some pest snail if they die their death creates ammonia as well. I just dirty the tank up to the max and then do a close to full water change before adding fish. Might sound simplistic but has always worked for me.

Last edited:
What kind of filter media do you have? Bacteria needs surfaces to grow, i use lava rock. Its super porous (lots of area for bacteria to grow)is inert is light and inexpensive. I just dump it right in my hang on back filter, if a canister filter put it in one of the baskets. After that i just use fish food maybe some pest snail if they die their death creates ammonia as well. I just dirty the tank up to the max and then do a close to full water change before adding fish. Might sound simplistic but has always worked for me.
This is what I use in my filter : https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000A7BCG4/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive never used bio max but im familiar with it and how it supposedly works and it should be adequate as a surface for lots of bacteria growth.
I'm at a loss...

Is it possible that the bacteria needs quite a bit of ammonia to start growing? Maybe I thought I was dosing to 2ppm but it might've been closer to 1ppm? Would this make a difference?

I'm at a loss...

Is it possible that the bacteria needs quite a bit of ammonia to start growing? Maybe I thought I was dosing to 2ppm but it might've been closer to 1ppm? Would this make a difference?
Im not sure, ive never dosed ammonia but increased ammonia isnt going to hurt anything without any fish. The dirtier the better. As long as there is zero ammonia or nitrite when fish added . Apparently one doesnt want to go above 5ppm ammonia as this can stall the process though ive never had that problem

Do you know what your PH is?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back