New guppy, fin rot, help please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm in UK so no cheap Wal-Mart here! I'll have to have a search online, maybe Amazon or eBay will be the cheapest options . Thank you it sounds quite doable, no new fish until after Christmas now so will do it then x thank you x

I'm in UK so no cheap Wal-Mart here! I'll have to have a search online, maybe Amazon or eBay will be the cheapest options . Thank you it sounds quite doable, no new fish until after Christmas now so will do it then x thank you x

pets at home do a cheep filter

Walmart also has cheap heaters for that sz tank which are preset to 76-78F
Cheap heaters are just that cheap and nasty I wouldnt trust one in my tank

Cheap heaters are just that cheap and nasty I wouldnt trust one in my tank[/QUOTE. Really! What a shame because they really do a lovely job in a QT tank. What happened when you tried them?

Let me clarify.

If its a cheap unknown brand then no do not buy one. Even some of the " name brands " can be rubbish. Heaters are important buy the best you can afford.

Im talking about stuff like this.
TB1zmB3MFXXXXarXFXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Last edited:
I use good ones in my display tanks but the Aquaeon does fine in my QT’s. Actually, I take that back. I have some expensive ones and some cheaper ones but name brands. I can’t recommend one over the other. They all work about the same. As long as they have a controlled thermostat that I can set, I’m good. The Hydor Theo heater is good but Aqueon works as well. I’m in the South and the house is normally about 72F inside so it may not be as big a deal to me as someone up North with an older or drafty home. I wouldn’t use a preset heater in my display tank but ok for QT. I’ve only had one ever break on me and that was my own stupid fault. I agree with you, I would never use the bottom heater in pic either. I can see it frying my fish.

Last edited:
I’d do a good size water change then to remove the med. The best thing you can do for fin rot is daily 25/50% water changes and aquarium salt. Clean water is the key. Good luck!
i agree, how ever on the first day of water changes, i would recommend a 50-70% water change just to try to remove alot of the dirty water, because the other WC's are only to keep the water clean, and the first WC is to get rid of the dirty water.

i agree, how ever on the first day of water changes, i would recommend a 50-70% water change just to try to remove alot of the dirty water, because the other WC's are only to keep the water clean, and the first WC is to get rid of the dirty water.
Good point!

I've bought a sponge filter from Amazon :)
you said you bought a sponge filter, but the good point that Nick Au was making is that you just don't go out and buy a random nor a cheap heater, because, like he said, they are just cheap, and often they are not very strong. A heater is different than a sponge filter, because the heater is for heat, and the sponge filter is for surface agitation and sometimes filtration help.

I've
you said you bought a sponge filter, but the good point that Nick Au was making is that you just don't go out and buy a random nor a cheap heater, because, like he said, they are just cheap, and often they are not very strong. A heater is different than a sponge filter, because the heater is for heat, and the sponge filter is for surface agitation and sometimes filtration help.
bought a Hidom heater, i hope it'll be ok x

Cichlid, I know this got confusing. The sponge was purchased to use to seed the QT tank. It has nothing to do with the heater.

Cichlid, I know this got confusing. The sponge was purchased to use to seed the QT tank. It has nothing to do with the heater.
that was just what i was saying, but if you go up and reread the message that flossybean said, message #25 has a quote about buying a cheap heater and why it is not good to buy a cheap one, but clearly flossybean typed something about how she bought a sponge filter a little while back from amazon, which has nothing to do with heaters, that is why i wrote the message that i did (message #26).

that was just what i was saying, but if you go up and reread the message that flossybean said, message #25 has a quote about buying a cheap heater and why it is not good to buy a cheap one, but clearly flossybean typed something about how she bought a sponge filter a little while back from amazon, which has nothing to do with heaters, that is why i wrote the message that i did (message #26).
I understand. It really did get confusing. Lol!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back