Sg1tombraider

Reaction score
Hi all,

Iā€™m new to here and new to fish šŸ 

We have just bought 6 new guppies (2 days ago), one has already died from fish rot (the yellow)- he had it when we brought them home but being new didnā€™t notice until yesterday due to is slow behaviour and a thought that itā€™s fin was very short (worried it was a female to begin with).
Sadly I think another guppy has fin rot (silver). I am waiting for medication to arrive but it wonā€™t arrive until tomorrow.
Is it worth separating the other which I think has fin rot from the others? Or medicating the whole tank when the medication arrives tomorrow?
They are in our quarantine tank at the moment. Donā€™t really want to have to buy a 3rd filter šŸ™ˆ

Thanks Iā€™m advance!!!

Attachments

• 45B111F8-7E8C-486E-8584-F7F865D893BC.jpeg
    45B111F8-7E8C-486E-8584-F7F865D893BC.jpeg
    164.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 5B776E27-7741-4EF6-B07F-C1255E7CAF48.png
    5B776E27-7741-4EF6-B07F-C1255E7CAF48.png
    619.8 KB · Views: 39
Is your tank cycled? I would hold off on rhe meds as all you really need for fin rot is clean fresh water and salt. What is your water change routine like?

Fin rot is an interesting disease - often diagnosed but rarely what we think it is.

Fin damage on newly arrived fish, especially on fish with unnaturally sized fins like fancy guppies or Betta splendens, is normal. usually, a few weeks of good care wil resolve it - regular 25-30% water changes with a cycled filter does the trick. It can be bacterial infections getting into woulds from shipping, in which case the meds we can order do little, and cleanliness is your best bet.

Yellow guy looks like he was past the point of no return when you bought him. He's not a fish dying from fin rot, to me, but a fish that has been quite chewed up. Silver guy looks like he can be brought around with tlc.

Is your tank cycled? I would hold off on rhe meds as all you really need for fin rot is clean fresh water and salt. What is your water change routine like?
Yep, itā€™s a tank that had fish in it for years, we moved those fish to a bigger tank. I checked the ammonia and nitrate levels today which is all fine. We do have snails in there too. We used to have 4 minnows in it so was water changing every 2 weeks. We did a water change before the new guppies went into the tank.

Fin rot is an interesting disease - often diagnosed but rarely what we think it is.

Fin damage on newly arrived fish, especially on fish with unnaturally sized fins like fancy guppies or Betta splendens, is normal. usually, a few weeks of good care wil resolve it - regular 25-30% water changes with a cycled filter does the trick. It can be bacterial infections getting into woulds from shipping, in which case the meds we can order do little, and cleanliness is your best bet.

Yellow guy looks like he was past the point of no return when you bought him. He's not a fish dying from fin rot, to me, but a fish that has been quite chewed up. Silver guy looks like he can be brought around with tlc.
Okay so we should do water changes every few days? I have now spotted what appears to be fin rot to me on the side fin of another of the guppies - this one obviously has the white rim at the edge of the surviving fin. Should we not use medication? Iā€™m scared it will spread to the other guppies. We picked them up straight from the store and we careful when driving them home so shouldnā€™t have any wounds per say. They were all in tanks with only other guppies at the store.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back