new fishroom pics

JeremyD:

I am sure you have done the calculations about the load bearing capacity of your stand, but from the pics it looks dicey. Maybe worth having a third leg to support it in the centre (or move the 2 legs closer?). Just my 2 bits :)

I agree with the last post. Im a carpenter by trade and would defiantly put a 3rd leg in the middle to be on the safe side. Its only a few more bricks and they will cost tons less than having to replace your tanks and frame work when it caves in..

Hope to help not to hinder..
alastair
:S

My first thought when I saw it was similar, that is a hell of a span there with those three beams.

The stand will take it.....

Lots of people have built these, some even wider!

You cant see from the pics above, but there is additional 2x4 bracing to help support it. So far I have had about 700 lbs on the bottom shelf and had no problems.

I too had considered adding more support under the middle, but It would be impossible to add that to the second level. Morover, the center brace would be supporting most of the weight on its own, rather than having the load spread evenly.

Wow, beautifully simple. I need to make myself a hood soon and I'm thinking of ways of just suspending it over the tank instead of fitting it to it as well. Nice work.

Hi JeremyD :)

What a great idea! :clap:

I'm wondering if it would be something I could put together. I have 8 10 gallon tanks strung all around and that would be a perfect way to get them all in one spot.

The one shown on the link with the 20 gallon tanks looks good too. :nod:

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your project when it's completed. :D

Inchworm said:
Hi JeremyD :)

What a great idea! :clap:

I'm wondering if it would be something I could put together. I have 8 10 gallon tanks strung all around and that would be a perfect way to get them all in one spot.

The one shown on the link with the 20 gallon tanks looks good too. :nod:

I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your project when it's completed. :D
It is VERY simple to build. I modified mine from the plans for various reasons, but if you choose to follow the plans, you can have the whole thing up and ready in an hours time. On that webpage I liked to, if you go down to the bottom theres a picture of a rack made to hold only 8 tanks. It is done exactly the same way except being only 60" wide. It should be real easy to set up for you.

bunjiweb said:
we need more pics!!! This looks stunning.

I'm guessing they are all for bettas right?

Ben
Actually no.... I do plan on keeping a couple betta's though. I've never been able to spawn them in the past but I'm going to give it a go with a couple crowntails. Hopefully with more success.

The 10g tanks will hold fry from various spawns, assorted livebearers, and killifish for the most part. Once this is up and running I will most likely build another rack for 20 longs and 29s for my cichlids. If only I had money. This is already costing much more than anticipated. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end though.

My hackjob sponge filters are almost done. I *think* I have the air supply situation solved. The water delivery system is all set. All I have left to worry about is heating.....

Things are progessing nicely.

See this thread here to see my latest score.

I installed the pvc for the bottom row of tanks with all the valves, endcaps, etc today. I hooked it up to the beast gast pump. Wow. With 12 valves wide open blowing into the air and 2 sponge filters hooked up, it was kicking bubbles about 1" out the top of the tanks. That thing is mighty powerful. But its also quite loud :( I will be replacing it in about a week with a smaller (but still large) diaphragm pump (9L/min). That should be enough to handle about 20 tanks or so. Once I get the next rack built, the gast will be put back in action.

Will post pics in a few...............

On with the pics....

Here are some of the goodies I bought..........

DSCF0487.JPG

DSCF0488.JPG

DSCF0489.JPG

1" PVC air tubing attached to the rear of the 2nd level.

DSCF0490.JPG

DSCF0491.JPG

A shot of the pvc and the wire for the light now actually attached so it doesnt dangle into the water ;)

DSCF0492.JPG

The GAST model DOA pump aka the beast.

DSCF0493.JPG

The gast pump hooked up with 12 valves wide open and 2 sponge filters hooked up. The bubbles blew up a good 1" over the surface of the water.

DSCF0494.JPG

Heaters came in yesterday. 3 broken out of 12 aint bad. The guys over at doctor's foster and smith (www.drsfostersmith.com) were great about it though. One phone call and 3 more new ones were on their way. Great customer service!

I hooked the gast pump up again. This time to 6 sponge filters and another 6 valves wide open bleeding off air. It was STILL too powerful. That thing is much more of a beast than I imagined!

I will be going to home depot today or tomorrow to pick up a couple 2x4's, another timer, and lights. I'm going to build another rack for the 4 20g tanks. It will be basically the same as the other one, just different in size. Not sure what I will do about lighting. I may pick up 4 20w compact flourescents and call it a day. One over each tank should do the job.

Also, another change in the plans. The basment slopes downward from the outside wall. The tanks are not very level. The front is down a good 3/4 cm from the rear. This means the water level in the rear of the tanks is too low for the heaters. I am just going to put the heaters inthe front of the tanks. Somewhat of an eye sore, but function is far more important than form. Besides, they are easily moved if need be for cleaning and maintenance. Easy acess to the surge protecter is also an added benefit.

Most reactions

Back