new fishroom pics

JeremyD

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sorry if you've already seen this on another forum..............

Well, its not a fish "room" per se, but more a fish section of the room :D I began working on my rack today. I also picked up a pair of 4 ft dual 40 watt flourescent shop lights. The rack system is based of the one outlined here - http://www.petfish.net/10grack.htm but a little different. The platforms will be 20" deep rather than 15" deep so there is no overhang of the tanks. This makes me a little more comfortable. Filtration will be done by DIY sponge filters in each of the tanks. I though about a recirculating water system, but the fact that I plan on raising different types of fish with different water requirements makes it less useful. I'm still trying to work out an air system (on a very tight budget) so if anyone has any idea's I'd love to hear em.

4 ft dual shoplites at $13.00 a piece

DSCF0457.JPG

Phillips 40 watt, 4100k bulbs. I really wanted at least 6500k bulbs, but the price difference was too great for them to be worth it. 4100k should be more than enough for the simple plants that will be kept under these lights.

DSCF0458.JPG

Laying out the bricks.....

DSCF0460.JPG

Test fitting with a frame.......

You'll notice that the bricks are stacked on end. I did this because of the fact that i made my shelfs 20" wide instead of 16", the width of the bricks.

DSCF0459.JPG

Shelfs completed and the lower light mounted. In this pic, you will notice the braces on the ends of the upper shelf. Again, this is due to the fact that the shelfs are 20" wide and the bricks only 16" wide. This will give much more support to the upper shelf.

DSCF0461.JPG

All mounted.

DSCF0462.JPG

Pic without the flash. Gives you a much better idea of the "color" of the lights. I think they look pretty good.

DSCF0464.JPG

Thats all for today.

Started adding 10g tanks today. I still dont have an air pump. I sourced a linear air pump that will push 2.5 cfm for about $70. Sounds like my best choice so far. Still dont have the foam for the sponge filters yet either. Its getting there though....

*starts to drool* *drools* *wants to do that with 33's* *asks Julie*

Thanks for sharing! It's great! :nod:

pics w/ the tanks on it plz, :) id like too see the tanks to get a mental pic :)

TheeMon said:
pics w/ the tanks on it plz, :) id like too see the tanks to get a mental pic :)
They're coming. I hope to have the new tanks cleaned tomorrow and have at least the bottom row of tanks set in place.

I JUST LOVE YOUR IDEA ON POSTING THIS,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper:
a few days ago i was wondering if somethin like that could be done, and you made me sure of it! thank you very very very much!!!!! that it'll do for my 2 next tanks, and future ones :D thank you very much again!

BINGO :lol: I am planning a fish room as soon as I have my 4ft mbuna up and running and was wondering how to get the stand right for little cash.......yippee.

Gonna work well please keep sending pics with your progress:) and good luck making phish :kana:

drobbins27 said:
Could a stand like that hold like a a 200g tank? Werelooking to get a larger tank, but the stands all costs like 400 dollars, some much more :angry:
You could of course make a diy stand for that. I wouldnt recommend doing it this way though. Your best bet would be to use 2x4's for all the framing, pressure treated 4x4 stock for the legs and at least 3/4" birch ply for the surface. There are lots of good DIY stand plans out on the net though.

Pic of rack with bottom tanks in place.

DSCF0465.JPG

Another without the flash

DSCF0466.JPG

I better hurry up and find some foam for the filters.

Yeah....I am pretty much all over that when I get the time and money....and reason to have that many more tanks.....heh heh heh.... :lol: :*)

drobbins27 said:
How are u goin to filtrate all those tanks? Overflow?
central air system with home made sponge filters in all the tanks.

I still need to pick up some more pvc and fins some foam!

Most reactions

Back