New fish owner requires fish identification

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishy fingers

Reaction score
Hello all,
firstly what a great site!

I bought some fish today and after reading articles in the forum I think I may have bought Dyed fish, I have done a search on google and can't seem to find any info on them. The label in the shop said that they were coloured widows are these dyed fish??

hope somebody can help me!!

fishy fingers
:dunno:

If they look like this
StrawberryTetra.jpg

or this
BlueBerryTetra.jpg

then you have a dyed fish. I would keep it and try to make it's life as happy as possible before it dies. After all, it is not the fishes fault that they are dyed.

Dang! I am not sure on that myself, having never posted pictures. How about a description. And also, if you see any suspicious coloring, like pink, blue, purple, green, you can suspect they are dyed.

P.T.

I think that the pics posted by Loupe look like them, one pink one blue, I never even heard of dyeing fish before now!
I won't be getting any more of them.

Your fishes real name then is a White Skirt Tetra. Search that and you'll get lots of information. This a picture of my un-dyed tetras for colour comparison.
whiteskirt_school2.jpg

I guess stores think they look too plain and no cusotmer will buy them, so they put them through torture just for alittle colour that will fade in a couple months. I still think they're beautiful .

Don't get to upset though, my brother got one (before we knew about the dying part) and it it lost all it's color and outlasted all the other fish. It was still a pretty neat little guy.

Hi PT,
how do you post pics????,

thanks
ff

You asked the question how do you post pics.

I had a problem with that and could not get my head round it at all :fun: :fun:

Have a look at Newbie post 27th June "how do I add pic to my signature" It may help to set you on the right path.

After having set up with Photobucket you can upload any picture. Then when typing reply choose IMG above and put in url link for that picture

filcker2a.jpg

It worked for me :S

Good Luck - look forward to your pics :hyper:

Its a shame that so many fish shops still sell dyed fish without the customers ever knowing what the fish went through in the dying process, or even that they are dyed at all.

As Loupe said, just try to make its life as happy as possible, as I'm sure you would anyway. Next time try to buy undyed fish as the dyed ones do tend to be sickly and die young.

Maybe you could take them back to the shop you bought them from and ask to swap for some undyed ones, lking at snowyangels picture, white skirt tetras are beautiful just the way they are...... or some different fish altogether?

I would recommend that instead of bringing them back to the LFS yo got them from to exchange them, keep your fish and keep them healthy (as you're doing now).

But, you should go back to the store and let them know your feelings about them not informing you of what you were going to buy. I know if I'd bought some dyed fish without knowing they were died, I would let the LFS know just how disappointed I was in their service. You can alwasy put your money where your mouth is, as well, and take your business elsewhere.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back