New fish owner needing advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rachey79

Reaction score
Evening :)

I'm hoping someone can offer some advice.

I've wanted fish for a while and have done a bit of research. Originally I wanted goldfish as I assumed they would be easy but after hours of researching I realised I can't provide them with the space they need.

I have a limited area and the tank I want is 55 litres.

I wanted to go coldwater but tropical may be easier.

Ideally I wanted 6 neons, some red cherry shrimp and something of a centrepiece....so a betta, or a couple of platies or dwarf gouramis. (Not all of those).

I know bettas are best off on their own but will they attack my neons / shrimp?

Am I best off with a couple of the others instead?

And will the shrimp be enough to clear the algae and feed off the floor or should I get something else?

Am I over crowding?

Before we can properly recommend species for you, we need to know the dimensions of your tank and the pH and hardness of your water (if you don't know those, you should be able to find out on your supplier's website).

There really isn't any difference in difficulty between coldwater and tropical, but small tanks are easier to stock if they're heated, as there aren't many small coldwater fish.

Thank you for your reply.

The tank is 40 x 40 x 60 cm.

We have hard water where I am on the Isle of Wight. 97.2 ca/mgl. How can I find out the PH level? I can find the nitrate levels, iron, lead etc but not PH

I have managed to upload this....

Attachments

• water.PDF
    93.4 KB · Views: 124

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back