New Camera -not Happy With It At All

See what I mean with the plec pics? :) Flash was used = more light, much less grainy photos and the aperture is smaller so it's more sharp in focus :). Nice pics :good:.

ISO is a setting you can turn up so the camera is more sensitive to light. If you used film cameras in the past, you may remember you can buy film with different ISO values. Problem with high ISO values is that it makes the photo very grainy.

Aperture refers to the size of hole in the lens that the light can go through. It's weird, but the larger the f value (for example f/9.0 like in the recent plec pics), the smaller the hole for the light to go in and the larger the depth of field - more of the photo is in focus. However, this comes at the expense of less light getting through the lens since the hole is smaller. To counter this you can either turn up the ISO, lower shutter speed (like to 1/20 of a second for example) or simply add more light (like the flash or more light above the tank).

Downside to the flash is that in aquariums in often reflects off the front glass, and it can often make the fishes colours seem different/too bright or make the rest of the photo darker. Which is why I like to add more light above the tank instead :).

feel better now, maybe its not such a bad camera afterall :) and youve given me excellent advise :)

my fish are going to be all papped out by the time the weekend is over :lol:

thankyou all again :)

Ah, I see my work here is done :)

*Disappears in a puff of smoke*

can i hijack this thread since it seems to have gotten all the smart peoples attention :huh:
haha, i just noticed it cause i have a powershot also. i'm a college student so the more compact style fits my lifestyle a bit better. I got the powershot SD1100 IS digital elph
i'm just wondering if my camera has these capabilites or not, since it is the compact style with less options it seems.
i don't think i've seen anything on it about making the shutter speed shorter..except when i adjust the exposure, i can hit display and go to "long shots" night mode or something..where i can have it up to 15 seconds i guess...but that obviously won't help much

i love this camera though. i don't get excellent fish pics. but good ones. people pics turn out great in any lighting, and it automatically fixes red eye, i love it.

Thanks!
i'll hang onto that link incase i decide to do that, i'm a little scared to do anything to the camera for fear of messing it up, or making things overly complicated, when sometimes you just want a point and shoot.

i did find that aquarium setting on my camera also, so maybe i'll mess around with it a bit more....my poor fish hehe

Thanks!
i'll hang onto that link incase i decide to do that, i'm a little scared to do anything to the camera for fear of messing it up, or making things overly complicated, when sometimes you just want a point and shoot.
Best thing about CHDK is that it cant mess up the camera. It's just a couple of files you click and drag onto the SD card that effectively turns it into t a new camera. When you want the old menu system back, just delete the files off the SD card :good:.

Most reactions

Back