New C02, New Lights, New Tank Shot.

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Gankutsuou

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Allrighty. So basically, I have no real plant equipment.
My lighting is only 17 watts. flourecent. I really don't get what I'm doing right.
No c02 injections. No gear for it, and 2 filters now so the water should have more oxygen.

here's the full tanks shot. I figure I'd neglected the plant section, so you all will get the first look at my slate rock replacement. Hopefully, I'll get more of it.
Thetank.jpg

Then here's some kind of amazon sword. Red rubin or something like that.
redrubin.jpg

Then one of my best plants. got it at like, two inch stubs out of the bulb two weeks ago. man it grows each day.
Something Uclaves? I gave the exact name to synirr and lost it
waveplant.jpg

And then some hydrogliphia or something along those lines. Sorry for losing all the names
hydrowhatever.jpg

also, there's westeria and other plants like pennywort along the tank. I also have great water onions, val, and corckscrew val.

One thing you may be wondering. "Aren't all these plants dying in just 17 watts of flourecent light within 38 gallons of water?

Wateronion.jpg

first, check out the cool fatty eel. Then, notice this is the BOTTOM of a water onion. look at how green it is, and look at how it's putting new branches out. I'd call it quite a sucess

Comments and suggestions appreciated. This tanks been running a good 2-3 months, and the plants just keep growing. :lol:

Bit trick to see it in those pics but seems nice. Can I suggest you turn the flash off and just rely on the tank lights, that might help make the tank look lighter in the photos.

Sam

all right. but they come out pretty bad when I do that.

Was just an idea :) we cant comment on a tank if we cant see it ;)

Sam

here's an update. Hope you enjoy.

This should be "Hydrophila Corymbosa" or something like that. Anyone else? back me up and get a real name? Cause this thing's label was really worn down today at the shop. No flash used, per request :)
hydrowhatever2.jpg

Clowning around in the new pleco cave :lol:
Clowningaround.jpg

the whole tank using one of my different flash options.
Possiblebanner.jpg

Easier to see now :) I should have picked up on it earlier, but I think you need some more light, you've got next to nothing in there.

Strange looking fish BTW!

Sam

It's a 17 w Flourescent, and the highest available is a 30 w, but they have some special light spectrum qualities that this one already has, so there isn't much use upgrading.

" If it aint broke, don't fix it"
Everything is growing new parts and limbs. I think it's fine so far.

Well if its growing fair enough, but adding more light will help plant growth, its a simple matter of giving them more energy to work with. Like giving a child 1 meal a day, yes they will grow, but if you give them two of three meals a day they'll probably grow fast and stronger.

Sam

If your bioload is decent then that is certainly helping your plants along. In addition, is the tank near a window or light source? That could be helping you too. However, I'm seeing holes in your leaves, I would check that out as that could be either a sign of fish getting munchy or a nutrient deficiency. The plant choice is pretty good, though you might want to watch your H. difformis (next to your H. corymbosa), pretty light green plant with branching leaves. They need a good source of iron, and the leaves will fade over time from lack of light. It wouldn't hurt to add a tube, as Sam suggests. You still only be at 1.1WPG which will make quite a difference, especially for your pennywort, which will grow like mad with that lighting, and you'll still avoid algae issues.

llj

haha! thanks for the input. I'm sure christmas will make this easier to come by.

And it is embarrassing to admit... but I do have a snail problem :blush:

So that kinda explains the holes, as wells as the kribs pecking at them, (whom are going back to the LFS today anyways for pecking at my eels too.) It's a shame. they're the most brilliant pair I've ever seen. :sad:

But that should help, and I'll go for the lights too.

you may have seen some of this in the eel post, but here.

the new bogwood
plecocave23.jpg

the clown loves it...
Plecocave2.jpg

The eel loves it...
eelinjava.jpg

The porthole loves it...
Onthejava.jpg

cute huh
Portholecat.jpg

yes he is.... and my pennywort is too...
Inthepennywort.jpg

Tank shot! I think it's an improvement!
FTSN.jpg

all right. An ID on the moss. Christmas or Java. Help me out. I think it looks better too. The elephant nose is a lot more active with the excess foilage.

Soon to come - the 30 gallon (if all goes well ere Christmas time.)

Looking good, an elephant nose is one fish I hope to keep at some stage.

Sam

Most reactions

Back