New 90 Litre Bow Front

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Torred1771

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
After my chaos with the 125 litre tank I have cracking and leaking everywhere, I have replaced it with a 90 Litre BOW FRONT aquarium. I have all my gravel in, am currently soaking my wood so it sinks and doesnt stain my water, have added appropriate chemicals and am just letting it run for now.

Question is, I am looking for stocking suggestions. I want to maintain possible 2 larger fish may angel fish (from very small) or possible a pair of rainbow fish (male and female), or a pair of dwarf gourami's. I also want to keep loads of very small colorful fish, love five banded barbs, all sorts of tetra's and other barbs. I would love to get a common plec but from passed experiences they get too large for the tank, therefore I am now considering a bristle nose plec and possible some shrimp.

Can anyone advise me or make any helpful suggestions?

The new tank, looks much better than the old one in my opinion. I am just worried that once I add the wood to the tank, that it will have too much in it, especially when I add plants. Please excuse the low quality pics as I took them with my phone. But the water is crystal clear at the moment.

bow1.jpg

bow.jpg

im sure we've visited this before, but, how are you going to cycle the tank?

why did you test the ph? did you expect it to me any different to your tap water ph? why testing nitrite? you have no ammonia going into the tank, there would be no nitrite? you do understand cycling right?

im sure we've visited this before, but, how are you going to cycle the tank?
why did you test the ph? did you expect it to me any different to your tap water ph? why testing nitrite? you have no ammonia going into the tank, there would be no nitrite? you do understand cycling right?

I do understand cycling thank you very much. I was just testing the water for my own knowledge. No need to questions ones ability to understand things or to be smart about it.

Im not being smart chum, believe it or not, the majority of my posts and time on here are done helping out people new to the hobby. But i'll leave my concern for your tank at the door from now on. Have fun with the new tank.

Im not being smart chum, believe it or not, the majority of my posts and time on here are done helping out people new to the hobby. But i'll leave my concern for your tank at the door from now on. Have fun with the new tank.

Thanks for your concern. I am more than happy to take advice from my LFS, all three of them for that matter. And "CHUM"? Come on....

I ultimately joined this forum to get advice on what fish mix well together and see what designs other people have chosen for their tank.

Thanks for your concern. I am more than happy to take advice from my LFS, all three of them for that matter. And "CHUM"? Come on....

I ultimately joined this forum to get advice on what fish mix well together and see what designs other people have chosen for their tank.

You will no doubt find Tizers' comments, knowledge and input invaluable to new-comers and those that know what their doing.. he helped me (and many others) out when i first started the hobby and his advice should never be over-looked.
If you are that content with the information that your 3 Local Fish Stores give you, then best of luck, but the VAST majority of people on here have (in some way or another) been mislead by the consumer world goverened fish stores.
I sincerely hope NOT to see a post from you along the lines of "fish dying,why?" in the Emergency Section anytime soon, but if you know what you're doing with regards to cycling your filter then i wish you the very best of luck :good:

Terry.

You will no doubt find Tizers' comments, knowledge and input invaluable to new-comers and those that know what their doing.. he helped me (and many others) out when i first started the hobby and his advice should never be over-looked.
If you are that content with the information that your 3 Local Fish Stores give you, then best of luck, but the VAST majority of people on here have (in some way or another) been mislead by the consumer world goverened fish stores.
I sincerely hope NOT to see a post from you along the lines of "fish dying,why?" in the Emergency Section anytime soon, but if you know what you're doing with regards to cycling your filter then i wish you the very best of luck :good:

Terry.

I hope I don't have dead fish either.

Im just looking for answers to my questions not smug comments like "i hope you know what your doing" and "i dont want to see posts about dead fish". That is not why I joined the forum and if thats the only comments I can get on my posts then I shall delete me account and seek advice somewhere else.

Yes, probably wrong choice of words on my account there, so apologies, but what i meant to put across was how much of a shame it would be to see such an entry in the Emergency Section... something, unfortunately, that is all too common on here.
I've given my 50 pence worth with regards to your approach to Tizers' post, so i'll leave it at that, but best of luck with your new tank.

Terry.

Now back to the question at hand, what about stocking? Below is a list of some things ive been considering and the quantity, but Im open to suggestion.

For the Smaller Schooling Fish...
4 Platys
6 Neon Tetra
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Cherry Barbs

For The bigger fish (pair)
2 Swordtail
OR
2 Angelfish
OR
2 Dwarf Gouramis
OR
2 Rainbow Fish

For the bottom feeders:
1 Bristlenose Plec (common plec get too big)
2 Leopard of Panda Corys
Shrimp

I think this would make a lovely tank set up, however I think it might be too many fish...advice?

Now back to the question at hand, what about stocking? Below is a list of some things ive been considering and the quantity, but Im open to suggestion.

4 Platys
6 Neon Tetra
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Cherry Barbs

2 Swordtail
OR
2 Angelfish
OR
2 Dwarf Gouramis
OR
2 Rainbow Fish

For the bottom feeders:
2 Leopard of Panda Corys
Shrimp

I think this would make a lovely tank set up, however I think it might be too many fish...advice?

Im new to this but that is too many fish from the advice i have been given. I have a 64 litre tank and was advised to get 6 neons, 6 harlequin rasboras and 6 panda corys and my tank would be fully stocked. I got the 6 neons and harlequins but got 3 oto cat fish and 3 guppys instead.

Tizer has given me advice on a previous post which was spot on, dont listen to your lfs i made that mistake and lost £25 (all bar 1 fish) practically over night. I had 2 shops give me wrong advice and ended up buying 2 tanks as i was mis sold the 1st tank and it was too small. You do need to cycle the tank i did mine by feeding the tank fish food and monitoring my levels. I have my tank currently half stocked after cycling my tank for 4 weeks and had 1 guppy die but i think it was because i bought it from pets at home and really shouldnt have as thats where i bought my 1st lot from. I travelled all the way to manchester from huddersfield to buy fish from a independent fish shop with a good reputation.

Also your heater should be on a angle so the thermostat works correctly and your heater is better near ur outlet flow on ur filter so you avoid heat spots :)

4 Platys
6 Neon Tetra
6 Five Banded Barbs
6 Harlequin Rasbora
4 Cherry Barbs

2 Swordtail
OR
2 Angelfish
OR
2 Dwarf Gouramis
OR
2 Rainbow Fish

For the bottom feeders:
2 Leopard of Panda Corys
Shrimp

For me id go for 1 large group of the dither fish, so 12+ neon's maybe 4 platy's and then a pair of dwarf gouramis. You dont want to much going on in there but with the right amount i think it will look nice. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back