Need help!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lala80

Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Laura I'm new to the fish forum so I wanted to introduce myself.but also hopefully get some advice as I am also new to caring for fish. I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank and noticed yesterday a gemale guppy had a white snout. Now this morning most of them do! I've been treating water w capful of fishkeeper 1x a day but dont want to lose them! Should I separate them, is it mouthrot or ick, do they need something special or are they doomed?!

20180527_135106.jpg

Hi and welcome. That fish has clamped fins which is usually a sign of poor water quality. I don't know what is in "fishkeeper" but my personal suggestion is not to use it until we know what is wrong with your fish and what is in the medication.
Start with a 50-75% water change. Treat the water with dechlorinator using the dosage on the bottle and ensure the water is a similar temperature to your tank water. Go easy on the feeding (every other day is enough) and continue changing 50% of the water at least every other day for the short term.

It would be really useful to provide the following information:

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Please also read http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first

Right now the absolute priority is clean fresh water, which is the best medication for any fish.

How long has the tank been set up for?

What else is in the tank?

How long have you had the guppies for?
If you have only had them for a few days then I would say it has Columnaris (aka mouth fungus), which is not actually a fungus but a nasty flesh eating bacteria. If you can get some medication (anti-biotics) to treat Columnaris you might be able to save it. But it spreads very quickly and most infected fish die within 24-48 hours of developing symptoms.

The medication will wipe out filter bacteria so reduce feeding to once every couple of days, and do big water changes to keep the water clean.

-------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the gravel to the top of the water level.

Remove any carbon from the filter before treating and throw the carbon away. Carbon absorbs chemicals so you need to remove it before treating the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back