The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JAB

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
My tank: Juwel Rekord 700 (70l)

Breif explanation:
I set up my tank on the 24/9 and ran ever since. Added fish food as a source of ammonia 25/9, partial water changes inbetween to clear clouding. Also added API Quick Start 27/9.

Anyway, I got a test kit yesterday (28/9) measuring NH3, N02, N03, pH, GH and KH. It's strip test and i know you guys are gonna give me grief for this but it's just for a general indication for if things are present and to give me a rough idea of things.

So i tested yesterday (28/9) and had:
Ammonia:1 mg/l
Nitrite:1-5 mg/l (wasn't clear which one)
Nitrate:25-50 mg/l (same thing)
pH:7.3
GH:250 mg/l
KH:180 mg/l

I also tested today to see if anything has altered and i was shocked.
Ammonia:0 mg/l
Nitrite:5 mg/l
Nitrate:50 mg/l

So guys, would you say API QS has worked and my cycle is underway or would you say my results are just a fluke? I think my Ammonia bacteria are pretty much ready, just my Nitrites now :/.

I'm gonna order some of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JEYES-KLEEN-OFF-AMMONIA-MULTI-PURPOSE-HOUSEHOLD-CLEANER-STAIN-REMOVER-500ML-/161101850413?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item25826b272d as recommended somewhere on the web so i can accurately dose up to 3PPM. I've also added a flake of fish food for a source of ammonia for the time being so my BB doesn't die off.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Any suggestions welcome,
Josh.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm not sure it's possible to tell yet, especially using the test strips which are reasonably unreliable.

Assuming that the results are in fact accurate it would suggest that the Ammonia bacteria were starting to form, but adding the 1mg/l isn't enough, it would be a lot easier to tell what was happening when you are up to 3ppm and testing using a liquid kit. The fact that it suggests that 1mg/l has been processed, but 5mg/l of Nitrite has been created would lead me to believe that the results aren't reliable, as I don't think 1mg/l of Ammonia would create that much Nitrite (but I do stand to be corrected on that, I may be wrong).

I think TTA (resident expert in all things cycle) in another thread states that the API quick start is pretty much useless, so i'm not sure how much of an effect that will be having.

Just to give you an idea of how long the cycle will take, i'm currently on day 42 and I have just completed the cycle, its a long hard stretch!

OS

Hi,
I think a good starting point would be to get my water tested at my LFS to see where we're at. Like i said, i'm gonna order some ammonia to dose up to 3ppm.

On another note, where abouts in Sheffield are you from?

Hi,

Getting the Ammonia is a great start (if your near a Homebase its pretty cheap there, and quicker than the internet!), getting it tested by the LFS is certainly a start, as long as they test for Ammonia and Nitrite (I know a few only test pH and Nitrate and tell people their water is fine). Like I said in my previous post, i'd really push the idea of your own test kit, maybe if you can't get the master kit you can get by with just the Ammonia and Nitrite kits!

I'm in Woodseats, are you in Sheffield?

OS

Tested today:
Ammonia:0.5 mg/l
Nitrite:0mg/l
Nitrate:50mg/l

Ordered some Ammonia today, should be here wednesday. Gonna dose up to 3PPM and get it tested friday i think.

Regarding your location, I'm in Barnsley. Not a million miles away but a fair distance. Any chance you visit near Barnsley some time? I wondered if you could be so kind as to donate a little media to get my filters seeded ASAP.

Josh.

I've barely cycled my tank, so can't afford to let any media go sorry! Can't say i find myself in Barnsley too much anyway to be honest!

Regarding adding Ammonia, use the calculator on this site to find out how much to put in your tank and deduct a little bit to account for the food added.

Okay no worries OS. Ammonia should be here tomorrow so i'm gonna add 2ml to dose up to 3ppm. Hopefully the cycling won't take as long as yours, finger crossed! :)

While cycling does follow a pretty predictable series of events, the times involved are highly variable. This is due to the uncertainty about how much bacteria one might have in a tank initially. Unless one can seed a tank with media and or substrate (and a few other items) from a cycled tank or add viable bottled bacteria, there simply is no way to know how much bacteria much comes in with your tap water. This can vary even when two homes are next to each other.

The one thing that is certain is the more bacteria one has at the outset, the faster the cycle can go. Start with enough, and you can have fully cycled tank as soon as it is set up. I do this a lot because i have so many tanks I can steal things from many tanks to put into a new one.

What this boils down to is that one should not think their cycle will follow the timing, in days, shown in the cycling article on the site. think of it more as the average. Some will be faster, some will be longer and some will be close to on target. What will always be true is properly done cycling will follow the same process from Ammonia --> Nitrite --> Nitrate, only the time it takes for the bacteria to reach the needed levels will vary.

TwoTankAmin said:
While cycling does follow a pretty predictable series of events, the times involved are highly variable. This is due to the uncertainty about how much bacteria one might have in a tank initially. Unless one can seed a tank with media and or substrate (and a few other items) from a cycled tank or add viable bottled bacteria, there simply is no way to know how much bacteria much comes in with your tap water. This can vary even when two homes are next to each other.

The one thing that is certain is the more bacteria one has at the outset, the faster the cycle can go. Start with enough, and you can have fully cycled tank as soon as it is set up. I do this a lot because i have so many tanks I can steal things from many tanks to put into a new one.

What this boils down to is that one should not think their cycle will follow the timing, in days, shown in the cycling article on the site. think of it more as the average. Some will be faster, some will be longer and some will be close to on target. What will always be true is properly done cycling will follow the same process from Ammonia --> Nitrite --> Nitrate, only the time it takes for the bacteria to reach the needed levels will vary.
Thanks for that TTA, I get my Ammonia tomorrow so will be dosing to 3 ppm. Also going to get my water accurately tested at the LFS so i can record what things are in there. Then possibly get it tested again next monday and see how things are going.

Josh.

Most reactions

trending

Back