Need a fertilizer!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok guys I may not be dosing enough but on my 5 gallon I dose seachem flourish (never refrigerated that may that be the problem?) in a dose of 2.5 mL and I have noticed that I seem to have black dots on them and they are kinda of yellow and pale.Am I not dosing enough?I don't run co2.But anyways the plants at the moment is just staurogyne repens.I would like something readily avaible at pet stores.My lighting is also quite high for a 5 gallon.13 watt 5000k flourescent bulb.

Could ytou post photos, of the entire tank, and close-up (but in focus, lol) of the leaves with the dots?

I checked your photos linked under your post and I think the light may be too much, but closer photos may tell us more. Is the fluorescent "bulb" a tube? What brand?

And what is the GH?

Byron.

No its just a bulb swirly.Sylvania brand.Cant tell GH sadly.Do you possibly think that my flourish has mold in it that is sucking up nutrients?I dont refrigerate it.

upload_2017-5-6_18-17-55.png

upload_2017-5-6_18-18-14.png

Thats about what they all look like.

On the light, if you mean a Compact Fluorescent Bulb, one of these swirl CFL bulbs that screw in like the old incandescent buolbs, you may not have sufficient light. I have two 9w CFL bulbs, 6500K, over my 10g and the same over my 20g. One 13w might not cut it here...can you use two bulbs? Assuming I am right on the type. If only one, and it is screw in, see if you can find a 6500K and in a higher wattage.

I asked about the GH because that is your prime source of calcium and magnesium, two macro nutrients. But I don't see specific signs of those deficiencies here, so let's move on to the Flourish.

This is the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, correct? Not one of the others like Excel or something. You mention a dose of 2.5 ml...this is sufficient for 30 gallons according to their recommendation. I use about half of this, roughly 2 ml, once weekly in my 10g. so you might want to reduce the dose. As for refrigeration, they do recommend this after three months. I keep mine, once opened, in my wine fridge which is not as cold, but the standard refrigerator should be OK. I have found that when you first open it, it is sort of pale anber/brown, but after some time it gets more black. I tend to toss it out near the end when it does this. Buy small bottles, as you use so little it may remain active better.

Byron.

Ohhh that would explain why mine is black.I was told my bulb which is right on the lid of the tank was high lighting which my plants seem to grow decentlyAnd it is flourish comphrensive will be getting excel today though.So what the issue is im guessing is that just my flourish has went bad?

That would explain why mine are black.So possibly the only issue is my flourish has went bad?I will be getting excel today to help.And I was told my lighting was high but if not I wil try to get a better.

Ohhh that would explain why mine is black.I was told my bulb which is right on the lid of the tank was high lighting which my plants seem to grow decentlyAnd it is flourish comphrensive will be getting excel today though.So what the issue is im guessing is that just my flourish has went bad?

Do not get Excel, that is not going to help, and it is quite toxic.

The Flourish Comp may be deteriorated. A new small bottle could help that.

I understand about the 13w is supposed to equal a 60, but the 9w I use equal 40w and I have two of them over my 10g. Just a thought.

According to my calculations for 5 gallon the recommended dose is 0.425ml. you can use a little more or a little less if you want but 2.5ml is way too much.

Because flourish comprehensive has almost all of the necessary elements plant need, and it can also feed fungus . I recommend getting a small pill bottle and putting enough it the pill bottle to last a couple of months. The flourish bottle go back into the freezer. i think the smallest bottle size they list is 50ml. But the smallest bottle I could buy was the 100ml size. Even if the fertilizer is dark it is probably still good However if you see big fuzzy lumps on top of the fertilizer discard the bottle. Any good complete liquid fertilizer is going to have this problem

60W bulbs typically put out about 900lumens. My experience with my 5 gallon was until recently at 1000lumens. I have gotten good plant growth at about 1500 lumens. That is probably about as low as you want to go. Some plants will grow but others may not .

Last edited:
Ok so bulb problem mostly that it seems/Got it.One more thing.What about the black dots on the plants?Are those just from possible mold growing in the flourish sucking up nutrients or lighting?What is the overall issue here?Flourish or lighting?Also anyone know if API co2 booster is good?

All I want to know at this point is.What is the issue then with the plants?Lighting,Deficiency?What is it.

All I want to know at this point is.What is the issue then with the plants?Lighting,Deficiency?What is it.

This is not easy to answer, as you have seen. Both Steven and I have mentioned light and nutrients, and these must be in balance for the plant species because each species may have differing requirements. Faster growing means more light and nutrients to balance, slow growing means less. Algae is always waiting to take advantage.

I believe both Steven and I are in agreement here that you should reduce the Flourish Comprehensive a bit. And consider increasing the light, with a higher wattage bulb is the easiest and may solve the problem.

Ah ok .So excel is quite bad?I heard it helps and kills some algae.

This "kills some algae" is the root of the problem. Excel is a glutaraldehyde compound. To give you an example of how toxic this stuff is, it is used in hospitals to disinfect medical instruments, in anti-freeze, in embalming fluid, and in ship ballasts to kill bacteria when the ship travels from one sea to another. Used according to instructions, it usually kills some plants. If overdosed, it can kill all plants, fish and bacteria.

Some people will use this regardless of the above, and their fish "live" fine they say. This is misleading; fish may live through something but still be internally affected. Every substance in the water will get inside the fish by osmosis through the cells, as well as via the gills. No one can possibly maintain that such a toxin should be added to a tank with fish with this occurring. The fish are likely being weakened. As the very least they are probably having to compensate physiologically as a result, and this is dangerous too.

That is why I do not recommend Excel if fish are present.

What about the black dots on the plants?Are those just from possible mold growing in the flourish sucking up nutrients or lighting?

It is difficult from the photos to see just what these black blotches are. If they are in the leaf, like a sort of see-through cellophane structure, that is a light/nutrient issue. If they are on the surface they may be a type of brush algae, which is also a light/nutrient issue. The first (cellophane) could be an excess of something and the second (algae) a matter of light and nutrients not in balance. I have had brush algae occur from too long a light period, and from dosing too much Flourish Comprehensive.

We haven't talked about the light duration...it is best to use a timer so the tank lighting is uniform, on for the same duration every day, and for the same period during the day. This is beneficial to fish as well as plants.

Byron.

This tank is on a timer.9 hours a day.from 11:30 to 7:30.What would be a good wattage of bulb to shoot for and where could I find one?Nutrient issue a deficiency or too much flourish?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back