Need a fertilizer!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I found 65k cfl's at the small local lumber yard, so far I haven't noticed any difference in growth. I do like the slightly blueish color.

I'm using leaf zone and flourish

Just as a side note: lumens is how we see the light (visible spectrum) but not necessarily as helpful to the plants. PAR or PUR are more appropriate for plants. PAR (photosynthetically available radiation) or PUR (photosynthetically useful radiation). Some lights have ratings for one of these as they are far more common and accurate to the needs of aquarist gardeners than any other measure.

I am well aware of this. However his aquarium hood is limited to consumer bulbs and I have never seen one with a PAR or PUR brightness rate. So as long as he keeps his hood and is using regular bulbs we will have to work in Lumens. In any case my light in my 5 gallon is capable of 3000 lumens but I have it on a dimmer and it works well at 40% which is about 1300 lumens. So that bulb he has is close to what I have.

Probably. The 5000K is OK, it is "warmer" in terms of light which means more red and less blue ("cool" means more blue and less red), and red is important for photosynthesis, so that is not a problem.

1. I personally have used 3000K and 4000K bulbs in my tank and have not seen any difference in fish behavior or plant growth. While 6500K is closer to outside light. From my experiencePlants and fish are very tolerant to different K ratings. Currently my light is 3000K and my plants are lightly pearling (oxygen bubbles on plant leaves) at 1300 lumens

Houston we have a problem.The bulb melted part of my hood.Then exploded.Welp,now im back to the good ole 800 lumens 5000k bulb.The old bulb still fits in the hood but its a little awkward.

Might be time for a new hood...

Get one that offers you more options related to plant bulb options.

LEDs are a nice option because they are rated by PAR... but, they can be pricey.

LED is a good option, but you do need to know exactly what you're getting. I have tried five different units and all went back. The LED that are best for plants are quite expensive, but of course the cost is no guarantee it will be suitable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back