Nano Plants... Decisions Decisions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ben M

Formerly pest control
Reaction score
Hi, after 4 months of searching for plants for my nano, I have decided on the basic layout. However, I am still not 100% on plant species. The tank has a 33cm x 33cm base, with a height of 45cm. The lighting will be a superfish 18w nano light. I will be dosing EI ferts and easycarbo.The hardscape will be beech wood.

Here is how I intend to place the hardscape:

baseplan-2.png

I will have Christmas moss on the wood and on a rock filling the gap between the right piece of wood and the glass, and Eleocharis parvula infront of the wood. That much I've decided.

To the left of the wood, I would like a 7-8cm plant. However, I'm not sure which plant would be best. Would you suggest a crypt species, or possibly a sword similar to E. tenellus? Although I've heard that can grow too tall? Or would Sagittaria subulata be suitable? I'm very open to suggestions on this area of the tank, as I'm stuck lol.

I'm thinking of having 3 different stem plants at the back of the tank. The internal filter and heater will be in the back left corner, so I want a big bushy plant to hide them. I am thinking either Limnophila sessiliflora, Ceratophyllum demersum or Myriophyllum matogrossense.

Slightly right of centre in the background I would like a reddish plant I am thinking Ludwigia repens, or can you think of a better choice?

And for the back right corner, I have chosen Ceratopteris siliquosa or Ceratopteris thalictroides.

Please share your views on plant species, as there is loads of choice, ad I'd like to narrow it down. Also, do all of these plants do well with easycarbo, as I've heard it can kill some plants?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated. :good:

I will have Christmas moss on the wood and on a rock filling the gap between the right piece of wood and the glass, and Eleocharis parvula infront of the wood. That much I've decided.

I like this. Both species will work well.

To the left of the wood, I would like a 7-8cm plant. However, I'm not sure which plant would be best. Would you suggest a crypt species, or possibly a sword similar to E. tenellus? Although I've heard that can grow too tall? Or would Sagittaria subulata be suitable? I'm very open to suggestions on this area of the tank, as I'm stuck lol.

In a tank this small, I'd opt for slow-growing, so a crypt would be better. If you get smaller crypt plants and plant densly, I have found that the plant will stay small and you'll get dense growth. I'm just concerned that E. tenellus and Sag will grow too fast and send too many runners to different parts of the tank, where you don't want them.

I'm thinking of having 3 different stem plants at the back of the tank. The internal filter and heater will be in the back left corner, so I want a big bushy7 plant to hide them. I am thinking either Limnophila sessiliflora, Ceratophyllum demersum or Myriophyllum matogrossense.

I like myrio species personally, but I wonder about its proximity to the heater.

Slightly right of centre in the background I would like a reddish plant I am thinking Ludwigia repens, or can you think of a better choice?

Repens is pretty, but I personally like smaller leaves for a nano tank. Try a rotala species? Their leaves are smaller? Ian has a lovely Ludwigia species that you might want to try as well.

And for the back right corner, I have chosen Ceratopteris siliquosa or Ceratopteris thalictroides.

Both species are too big for a nano IMO, but it's up to you.

I like this. Both species will work well.

Thanks for the reply. :good:

Thanks for your thoughts on that, it is an idea 'borrowed' from a ukaps scape that I've seen (hope he doesn't mind).

In a tank this small, I'd opt for slow-growing, so a crypt would be better. If you get smaller crypt plants and plant densly, I have found that the plant will stay small and you'll get dense growth. I'm just concerned that E. tenellus and Sag will grow too fast and send too many runners to different parts of the tank, where you don't want them.

I see what you mean about the faster growing ones. My vallis is murder in my 4ft. Which crypt species would you suggest? I'd like it to be visible behind the wood, which may be about 5cm high. Possibly something with a purplish tinge. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of having 3 different stem plants at the back of the tank. The internal filter and heater will be in the back left corner, so I want a big bushy7 plant to hide them. I am thinking either Limnophila sessiliflora, Ceratophyllum demersum or Myriophyllum matogrossense.

I like myrio species personally, but I wonder about its proximity to the heater

Doesn't the myrio like it too hot? if that is the case, then would one of the other 2 species be suitable? I have Limnophila sessiliflora in my other tanks, so should i try that? Although stems aren't really that expensive, so I wouldn't mind purchasing another species.

Repens is pretty, but I personally like smaller leaves for a nano tank. Try a rotala species? Their leaves are smaller? Ian has a lovely Ludwigia species that you might want to try as well.

I will be making my order from plantedtanks.co.uk, so I have had a look at their Rotala species, and the suitable ones seem to be Rotala rotundifolia and Rotala wallichii. However, do you think having 2 plants of a similar leaf shape (Limnophila + R. wallichii) next to each other would look a bit odd? If so, would it be better to go for the Rotala rotundifolia?

Both species are too big for a nano IMO, but it's up to you.

Hmm, I don't really know what to go for in that corner then. What would you suggest? Possibly a Bacopa species?

cheers :good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back