My Small Planted Shrimp Tank Journal

Sorry for all the questions but it's nice to learn now before i go into anythink more adventurous lol. Why did you say i could get away with TPN becasue of the 1.8wpg but would be inclined to go with TPN+?, Whats the difference with the two then?, and why would it make the difference beween the two?.

TPN+ = NPK & trace
TPN = K & trace

with you not having high light, the plants wont be demanding as much N&P, so in tank with fish, they would produce enough of these nutrients. However, in your tank there is a source of N&P for the plants because the shrimp produce hardly nothing.
Also with CO2 injection, the demand for Phosphorous increases, so the TPN+ would be a better idea.
so basically it is down to your stocking, and them not provising wnough N&P

Does that help?

Thanks.

Yes m8 it does, finally got the jist of it now lol. Takes a while for my brain to absorb certain things :p.

Thanks for the info aaron.

Btw what does NPK stand for?, im presuming nitrogen,phosferous(sp) and K..... potassium?

jen

Sorry for all the questions but it's nice to learn now before i go into anythink more adventurous lol. Why did you say i could get away with TPN becasue of the 1.8wpg but would be inclined to go with TPN+?, Whats the difference with the two then?, and why would it make the difference beween the two?.

TPN+ = NPK & trace
TPN = K & trace

with you not having high light, the plants wont be demanding as much N&P, so in tank with fish, they would produce enough of these nutrients. However, in your tank there is a source of N&P for the plants because the shrimp produce hardly nothing.
Also with CO2 injection, the demand for Phosphorous increases, so the TPN+ would be a better idea.
so basically it is down to your stocking, and them not provising wnough N&P

Does that help?

Thanks.

Yes m8 it does, finally got the jist of it now lol. Takes a while for my brain to absorb certain things :p.

Thanks for the info aaron.

Btw what does NPK stand for?, im presuming nitrogen,phosferous(sp) and K..... potassium?

jen
yep

Also looking for a drop checker, any one have any recommendations for me? :).

Was looking at this one, would this one be ok?. 250305620020 or 180298263070

thanks jen

AE, the green machine, and fluid sensor online, sell TPN+
Those DC's are fine

yep TPN+

AE's service is unsurpassed. its amazing. super quick delivery, good prices too.

Thanks guys for the info.

Checked AE out and looks like the most probabal place to buy from :good:

Rite now for the water tests lol, tested water just for kh, gh and ph. What do these readings tell you

Done with nutrafin kh, gh liquid test kit.

KH..... id say less than 10..... added the 1 drop and water didnt really chnage colour second drop went to yellow so in middle would be around 10/less than 10 ish. (birminghams water is apparently very soft anyways)

GH..... about 40 (havent a clue if this has any relivence)

PH..... API test kit comes out straight to yellow so by chart this is 6.0

Edited: PH from tap is usually 7.4 - 7.6

So what you think? good/bad ... comments please :)

thanks jen

good. not much than can be bad really lol.

No it was really for the reason i lost 3 shrimp and im trying to eliminate why tbh, i had a ammonia spike but i think the ammonia spike was from the dead shrimp but i need to know wot killed them..... water temp, ph drop,lack of oxygen or to much co2?

temp was around the 80 mark, CO2 will check when i recieve the drop checker pH would have dropped rapidly by looks of it so thinking maybe PH shock? not much aggitation on surface so conbined with maybe excess CO2 could have casued lack of oxygen?

one more thing i managed to get hold of some seacham flourish while i wait for my TPN+ and easy carbo to be delivered, How much seaham and when to dose? and when i get the crbo and TPN+ how much and when to dose with that aswell please :)

jen

pH wont of killed them, CO2 injection is 24/7 so it will remain around pH6. the water changes will not do any harm either, (wont fluctuate that much)

and it is possible to have a high CO2 & O2 level at the same time.

pH wont of killed them, CO2 injection is 24/7 so it will remain around pH6. the water changes will not do any harm either, (wont fluctuate that much)

and it is possible to have a high CO2 & O2 level at the same time.

I was thinking more that they came from a permanent ph of 7.6 straight into my tank which would have been 6 at the time.

I agree with the CO2 and O2 levels at the same time but if i havent any surface aggitation then wouldnt this reduce the amount of O2 in the water?, and would high levels of CO2 in the water sufficate fish?.

Just trying to eliminate the possible casue of death and it leads me down them lines simpley becasue the media moved into that tank was mature by 12 mnths and it was the whole lot from a much bigger and higher stocked tank so i know it wouldnt of been an ammonia spike on its own more that the decaying shrimp casued the ammonia... or the bacteria in the filter was not needed for such a low stocking and it died off casuing the ammonia but im thinking even that wouldnt have casued an a spike in ammonia.

maybe the pH then, i would of acclimatised them, even if the differences was small, stops any implications then.

Plants are producing O2 (even if you cant see it). Pearling occurs when the water is saturated with Oxygen and no more can dissolve, so instead you see it forming as bubbles on leaf tips.
As long as there is enough oxygen then the CO2 levels wont have a badaffect on the fish.

Most reactions

Back