My Small Planted Shrimp Tank Journal

JenCliBee

PleC & CorY MaD
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thought id share my short diary so far with you all.

Equipment....

Tank... Jebo 35/40ltr Tank.
Lighting... 18 Watt compact standard.
Substrate... Westland aquatic compost with a sand layer on top.
CO2... Cheap and cheerful nutrafin.
Plants/Moss... Ones that i know of is riccia and christmas moss and maybe cambodia?.
Inhabitants... Nothink yet but will be shrimp and snails.
Temp... Will be around 22-24C

First thing was the substrate....

Aquatic soil

face019.jpg

face020.jpg

face022.jpg

Sand on top

face027.jpg

face030.jpg

Finally got round to filling

face031.jpg

face035.jpg

Added the christmas moss to the bogwood and then introduced it to the tank

face036.jpg

Now the plants which i mite add was planted by my partner not me and i think she done a very good job :)

face044.jpg

face046.jpg

Finally added the CO2, this is the one i choose and i know its cheap and cheerfull but thought for the money it was worth a try

face002-1.jpg

Thankyou for looking, comments and suggestions are all welcome :)

Wow! That will look great once it fills in. What kind of shrimp are you planning?

Wow! That will look great once it fills in. What kind of shrimp are you planning?

Thankyou :)

Was thinking on crystal red and bee shrimp and maybe tiger, all depends what takes my fancy when i have a venture out tbh :)

One piece of advice. You shouldn`t have put the soil up to the edges where it can be seen beneath the sand. The front and sides should just be sand to avoid a messy look. :)

Dave.

One piece of advice. You shouldn`t have put the soil up to the edges where it can be seen beneath the sand. The front and sides should just be sand to avoid a messy look. :)

Dave.

It was purposely done, i liked the look of it been layered giving it to me a nice natural look :).

Thankyou for the suggestion though m8 :).

jen

I actually kind of like the layered look as well...

Another good reason for not having substrate showing through, is that if light is allowed to hit it (as it does now), this can act as an eventual BGA trigger.... For this reason I tend to tape up the sides of my tank to the level of the substrate... prevention better than cure & all that...

Andy

maybe cambodia

cabomba.

Nice planting, it is good how you have sloped the mosses down towards the substrate as it gives a nice sense of depth.

Ill let the other half know she's done a good job ...quite proud of her really beens it's her first time to plant a tank :)

Thanks for all the nice comments :).

Got my first inhabitants today 3 green shrimp and 3 rainbow 2 of which are carrying eggs ( i think there eggs anyways lol)

Wow the substrate looks like some kind of toffee! I love the plants they look great, are you going to have any fish? Or just snails and shrimps?

LOL

I was thinking about a nice shoal of neons but im thinking tank maybe a little small for them? but would be around 6-10.

jenclibee...

instead of neons why not go for something that would be more suited to the tank, that are a little rarer and better looking IMO

ember tetras! theyre really colourful little fish and im guessing that cube is about 30 litres? you could have 15 in there.
or galaxy rasboras, or any micro rasbora sp.

great job on the tank looks great!

Really Nice, where did you go for the rainbow shrimp?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back