My Small Planted Shrimp Tank Journal

after coming to the conclusion that my light is infact 11w and not 18w like first thought a revamp of the tank is in order and i just thought i would ask.....

The hc i brought isnt doing to well which i think is a result of the light and it not been as powerful as first thought, so i am thinking about changing the whole layout this weekend(if i have time). Im looking for another carpeting plant... one now that will work better with a lower light but still grows reasonaly quickish, was thinking glosso... been reading it does well under medium light which now is what i consider the light in this tank to be. Any other suggestion other than this?, also how does p.heferi (sp) do in low to medium light?.

jen

marsilea? elocharis sp?

glosso canbe just as hard as HC. P.Helferi isnt as bad and it reponds well to liquid carbon dosing.

marsilea? elocharis sp?

glosso canbe just as hard as HC. P.Helferi isnt as bad and it reponds well to liquid carbon dosing.

Cheers m8..... ive been looking at Utricularia graminifolia would this be a definite no no with my lighting?... im thinking so lol, does look stunning though :)

UG is a funny plant, it doesnt grow as well in a nutritous substrate (yes you heard me right). lol You could create a moss carpet. Paulo is currently doing a fissidens carpet on UKAPS

UG is a funny plant, it doesnt grow as well in a nutritous substrate (yes you heard me right). lol You could create a moss carpet. Paulo is currently doing a fissidens carpet on UKAPS

I thought about a fissidens carpet but i think it will just take ages to grow so was just looking at somethink that i can get which will grow well under a lowish light and grow quite quick, i want to concentrate on the 125 im going to setup within the next mnth so i want to get this one sorted so i dont have to do much other than trim etc etc.

Well just thought i would update beens it's been a while lol,

Tank was basically becoming a major hassle with the soil underneath, everytime i was trimming the pants and uprooting them to do so, it would bring the soil to the surface causing a mess which eventually starting to get on my T**s.

So..... i removed the soil completely and replaced the whole lot with new sand mixed with a bag of fine(ish) black gravel, which infact i think looks ok lol, maybe not to everyones taste but i just thought it would give it a bit more of a focal point instead of just plain sand, anyways lol

All the stem plants were removed, and cut very small parts off them and just bunch and replanted, removed the riccia casue it was just all over the tank and i hated the mess. Now attached to one piece of the rock is flame moss and the christmas moss is still on the bogwood, thers also 12 moss balls in there just as a holding place for when they go in the 180 litere when the last plec is sold. the HC is getting very leggy but id imagine this is just lighting issues so instead of uprooting it again for the 50th time lol im just gonna let it do what it wants lol.

It now has 4 apple snails and the male betta is still in there but he will be moving to the 180ltr, again when the plec is sold and this tank is going to go back to been a shrimp tank it was originally for.

Well think thats it lol, couple of pics for you, yes i know it looks terrible but once the mosses fill out and the plants at the rear pic back up it shouldnt look to bad (fingers crossed), im itching to get my 125 started so this really has been pushed to the back of my mind but after my holiday will get back and sort it out properly :)

Oh one last thing, tank look is i think gonna go through a major change when i come back from hols, i just dont really like the look and want it to start looking how it was so will update when and how i decide to do it :)

Thanks for looking

jen

Edited: couldnt find camera lol so here is a couple from when i first did it, i know it looks nothink like it did but here goes lol

Picture006.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Well thought i would update lol... trank been stripped and sold and mosses and HC moved to my cyling 180 :), go check out the semi- journal and give me your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks to every one that replied on this journal, especially Aaron and truck for all the great advice with my first planted tank :good:

Thanks again :)

jen

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back