My Shopping List For Stock...any Thoughts From U Experts?

If you're serious about stocking single specimins, here's some tips:

1. Try to stock them all at once or in large batches, it's very difficult to add single fish to this type of setup as they are prone to being picked on.

2. Add them all as juveniles (as young as possible). Allowing them to grow up together helps them to tolerate each other and reduce aggression.

3. Avoid similar looking species where possible like mixing different Elongatus or male Saulosi and Demasoni.

4. Don't add mild mannered species like yellow labs to an aggressive tank, in fact don't keep labs singularly, it doesn't work.

Hope that helps, i learn't a lot of that the hard way.

Thank you ferris some very helpful advice. It took flipping ages to go through them all finding the ones I liked. Don't suppose you fancy compiling a list for me for my tank? (creeping smilie)

If i did that you'd get the list in my sig. :lol:

If you're serious about stocking single specimins, here's some tips:

3. Avoid similar looking species where possible like mixing different Elongatus or male Saulosi and Demasoni.

Hope that helps, i learn't a lot of that the hard way.

I've just checked out all the fish on your list and I like them all but there appear to be several that are very similar looking? Also you have catfish, are they there for a particular purpose?

To be honest none of them look that similar, which ones were you thinking of?

The catfish are there to do a clean up job and i think every tank needs some bottom feeders from an aesthetic perspective. :)

Ok I checked out all the names and quite a few came up with a blue striped fish??? That was what I was meaning by similar. Is there anything else I can have other than catfish for cleaning up? I don't know why I just find them a bit creepy.

Ok, I do have a couple of blue striped fish but they are quite different, either the stripes are vertical/horizontal or they are very different shades of blue.

Do you mean all catfish? What about Plecs? Bristlenose Plecs work well with Mbuna.

Ok, I do have a couple of blue striped fish but they are quite different, either the stripes are vertical/horizontal or they are very different shades of blue.

Do you mean all catfish? What about Plecs? Bristlenose Plecs work well with Mbuna.

Hmmm after seeing the plecs I think I'd rather go for a catfish.
What do you think of the following fish?

Neolamprologus Brichardi (swallowtail)
Lamprologus Brichardi
Therops synspilum
Cleithracara Maronii (keyhole) I believe these are S. American but can you mix them with the Mbuna?

You've now moved off Mbuna and onto Tanganyikan's :lol:

Not my speciality i'm afraid but if you plan on mixing Mbuna and Tang's, be very careful and do some serious research. IMHO not a good idea.

cheffi, please explain the difference of these fish to me, thank you

Lamprologus Brichardi
Therops synspilum
Cleithracara Maronii (keyhole)

cheffi, please explain the difference of these fish to me, thank you

Lamprologus Brichardi
Therops synspilum
Cleithracara Maronii (keyhole)

OK so this is a trick question....no?...cause you already know and you're testing me to see how dumb I am???

The last two look exactly the same to me but on this link they gave it two different names so who am I to argue?: http://www.compu-tech-online.com/Gayle/cic...ae_family_2.htm

The Cleithracara Maronii is also on this link so if it has a different name I am assuming it is a different fish...

The last one I just liked the coloration of it. :/

Cheffi I think Mamafish means your mixing South American Cichlids with African Cichlids from Lake Taganyika apart from them needing different tank/water conditions I`ve got a feeling a 12" South American Cichlid might eat a 3" African Cichlid for breakfast ! I might be wrong.

BTW Have you got any pictures of your Tank up yet ?

Most reactions

Back