My Guppy Has Been Pregnant For 4 Months

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fishy_wishy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought her 4 months ago, already pregnant. The LFS owner said about a week. Haha. Its been 16 -_-. I posted a forum a while ago asking about this and someone said she might have given birth without me noticing and is just pregnant again. At first I thought sure, maybe but, she cant have had 4 lots of fry without getting any smaller and without me noticing. She looks like she might BLOW UP any day. Has anyone had this before?

hi do u have a picture of ur fish as this may help

Adults don't always get a whole lot smaller (depending on their original size). It's easiest to tell the difference in color of the gravid spot (it will be lighter).

Now if you are sure that she is pregnant and hasn't given birth, you may have other issues that are causing the problem unrelated to being pregnant.

Sometimes a female may abort her fry.  This could be caused by stress or bad water conditions. 

fishy_wishy said:
I bought her 4 months ago, already pregnant. The LFS owner said about a week. Haha. Its been 16
sleep.png
. I posted a forum a while ago asking about this and someone said she might have given birth without me noticing and is just pregnant again. At first I thought sure, maybe but, she cant have had 4 lots of fry without getting any smaller and without me noticing. She looks like she might BLOW UP any day. Has anyone had this before?
Was the female in the tank with males? Pet stores assume female live bearers are pregnant no matter what.

csfishkeeper said:
Adults don't always get a whole lot smaller (depending on their original size). It's easiest to tell the difference in color of the gravid spot (it will be lighter).

Now if you are sure that she is pregnant and hasn't given birth, you may have other issues that are causing the problem unrelated to being pregnant.
Females are usually very skinny for the next two days after giving birth, although some may not seem any smaller like you said.  The gravid spot isn't a sure thing either.  Some males have "gravid spots" and some females even though they are pregnant never develop a darkened gravid spot.

Yes she was with males, the gravid spot is very dark but it doesn't really look like eyes. as odd as that sounds. They look way too small to be eyes, it looks like her stomach is part filled with vanilla paste

How about any photos? I can try to estimate how long she has before she drops. I breed guppies too.

Sorry it took so long

The pictures aren't fantastic
wacko.png

Attachments

• DSCF2295.JPG
    DSCF2295.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,734
  • DSCF2298.JPG
    DSCF2298.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,637
Expect fry any time soon, wow. How long has it been like that? Four months?

I have this female in one of the community tanks , she had about 10 young a week ago didn't drop a full brood she'll have the rest when she's ready . I've had females only drop a few at a time so they always look heavily pregnant .

Attachments

• 20140219_151753_17293-1.jpg
    20140219_151753_17293-1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 686
Well she is wry close to dropping so.... BE PREPARED! Maybe previously she was pregnant and dropped wen you weren't there and te fry were snatched up, then the female was pregnant again but you thought it was still ? Just an idea but at least the four months will be up soon

Here is her on the 11th of december

I seriously doubt that's possible, I would have noticed even if there were no fry

@jamowens, wow does that happen a lot?

Attachments

• IMG-20131211-01324 (2).jpg
    IMG-20131211-01324 (2).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 970
But it seems more plausible that it had one or two on occasion always looking pregnant with the fry being eaten compared to being pregnant for four moths straight without dropping a single dry imo

You could raise the temprature in the tank a little bit sometimes it helps them to give birth , the female above had around 10 a week ago & never dropped the rest so put her back in the main tank to stop stressing her she'll have the rest when the time comes but sometimes they just have a problem giving birth & you can end up losing them . I'd raise the temperture a bit & see if it helps .

She is also really chesty.  That can shorten the life of the guppy.  How often do you feed them?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back