My Fluval Edge Tank - With Fish!

Day 30: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.0 / Ammonia: 4.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test) *** Ammonia is not being processed.

Well I'm baffled.

It's starting to look like my A-Bacs have died off & I'm back at the start of my cycle.

3 days now with no ammonia processing after the Nitrite spike and it#s bloody depressing. :crazy:

Hold in there, looks like you're going to have to go round the track twice for this one... :/

Seems like it Josh.

Hence my concern in the post above yours. I've posted a new thread, which I hope the experienced members can chime in on & give their tuppence on the situation.

Have My A-Bacs Snuffed It?/

Day 31: 90% water change done to help kick-start ammonia processing again. Re-dosed to 4ppm.

Hope the water change kick starts things. :rolleyes:

Well the water change & re-dose 0.75ml (4.00ppm)of ammonia seems to have kick started things again.

Todays results:

Day 30: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 2.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test)

Well the water change & re-dose 0.75ml (4.00ppm)of ammonia seems to have kick started things again.

Todays results:

Day 30: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 2.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test)

Good news that it appears to be off and running again. Your N-bacs are going well too by the looks of it.

Day 33: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 2.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test) *** Still 2.00ppm on the Ammonia, non-processed.

I really hope that you get this working gaz m8. It must be frustrating for it to be working then it stops. good luck pal.

ive looked back through your journal m8 and I notice there is a good period of days where ammonia was 0ppm and v.little nitrites. I;m wondering if the a-bacs were starved of ammonia and died off.

I have been redosing with ammonia at around 0.5-0.25ppm to ensure that the a-bacs don't get starved of it.

It's just a thought and my understanding of the nitrogen cycle may be completely off but it makes sense to me. when you read 0ppm you can't definitely tell how long it has been 0ppm. at least if it still shows some ammonia then you know the a-bacs are still being fed.

hope you get it sorted bud

The Ammonia was being processed within 24 hours, but following the recommended process of reducing ammonia dosing to help control the Nitrite spike meant the A-bacs were dealing with less ammonia but it seems they have died off a little for some reason.

The A-bacs will still survive for a while without ammonia, as we're only talking a few hours without it at most until I re-dosed.

Todays results:

Day 34: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 2.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test)

Day 35: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 2.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test)

:S

Blimey Gaz, this must be driving you nuts. I looked at those edge tanks today in the LFS and they are lovely little things. I could be persauded to find a space for one myself!

It sure is.

I'm really starting to think something's wrong still. Water change done, re-dosed to 4ppm & then it drops 2ppm in a day or so, but then sticks again at 2ppm.

It's a frickin head scratcher that's for sure. :lol:

Day 36: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 2.00ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: (Did not test)

:)

My cycle is stuck at 2ppm ammonia at the moment too :crazy:

Most reactions

Back