My Fluval Edge Tank - With Fish!

I suspect that the threat of a clean out will mean you'll see movement again on Friday! At least you have a plan of action now. If you do start again it will be interesting to see the state of your filter media, (I presume you'll open it up and take a look).

@Little_Nemo - Totally agree about the slime. Really looks quite vile.

@Warehouse - Yeah I need to do something as it's starting to extract the urine now. LOL

Might have to hold off putting the tank back together as I'm away for a few days next week although I could get it running as I suspect the ammonia won't process very quickly from fresh. Call me a cynic! :lol:

Day 43: Ammonia: 2.00ppm - Only tested ammonia levels

Day 44: Ammonia: 1.00ppm - Only tested ammonia levels - Removed carbon filter sack & topped up water earlier in the day

I replaced the carbon sack yesterday with more foam pad as it suddenly hit me that maybe the carbon (which isn't needed) was causing an issue. So it was taken out & replaced.

Now it's either co-incidence, fluke or doing the above has worked but since last nights test of 2.00ppm it's dropped to 1.00ppm today.

Anything's worth a try Gaz. I have a carbon pad in my external filter as well but I didn't realise how useless it would be until about day 10, so I've made a choice to change it with ceramics but only long after the cycle is over as I really don't want to touch the filter just yet.

I absoloutely love your 'climbing frame' haha.
Is it real wood or ceramic made to look like wood? And where did you find it? I'd love something similar for my Fluval Edge.
I currently have a log type thing, but it is ceramic. I wanted something more realistic, but like yours with a tunnel for my betta to go in as he claims that for his own!
Amy.

Hi Amy, it's available from Pets at Home.

It's ceramic item, totally false but it does look good. It's called Small Plant with Wood by Blue Ribbon.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-plant-with-wood-by-blue-ribbon-33609

There's a larger version but it won't fit the Fluval Edge.

Todays results:

Day 45: Ammonia: 1.00ppm - Only tested ammonia levels

Hi Amy, it's available from Pets at Home.

It's ceramic item, totally false but it does look good. It's called Small Plant with Wood by Blue Ribbon.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/small-plant-with-wood-by-blue-ribbon-33609

There's a larger version but it won't fit the Fluval Edge.

Todays results:

Day 45: Ammonia: 1.00ppm - Only tested ammonia levels

Ahh thanks so much, it is lovely.
Is there any way of taking the plants out of it? Its not that much of an issue, but my tank already has quite a lot of plants and don't want it to look too crowded. What do you plan on putting in the tank once it is fully cycled?
Amy.

The plants seem to be held in with aquarium silicon glue so should be easy to remove if you so wish.

Stocking wise I'm still undecided,but I'd like a Betta and maybe some Cardinal Tetras with a couple of Shrimp doormen.

I know there's possibly issues with having a Betta in the Fluval Edge due to the lack of surface area and Tetras not being as hardy as they used to be, but I'll make the decision, If and When tank decides to finally cycle.

:lol:

The plants seem to be held in with aquarium silicon glue so should be easy to remove if you so wish.

Stocking wise I'm still undecided,but I'd like a Betta and maybe some Cardinal Tetras with a couple of Shrimp doormen.

I know there's possibly issues with having a Betta in the Fluval Edge due to the lack of surface area and Tetras not being as hardy as they used to be, but I'll make the decision, If and When tank decides to finally cycle.

:lol:

I have a betta in my Fluval Edge and he is getting on great. One tip I would give you, is dont fill the water too high on the lip? You know where the opening is? Just fill it half way just so there is no chance of the Betta flipping out into the filter compartment, where the wires are kept!
I have cherry barbs also, and they are small and give a lovely colour =]
Amy.

If I ever get a day off I'm going to have to read this thread :lol: (I wonder what the two sentence summary of the cycle is...?)

Just so I can monitor all the levels I did a full water test today:

Day 26: pH = 7.6 / pH High = 8.2 / Ammonia: 0.5ppm / Nitrite: 0.00ppm / Nitrate: Between 40-80ppm

Ammonia seems to have processed again, but it was hard to tell under artificial light, even with a daylight bulb. :lol:

Will check again tomorrow afternoon after work.

Your testing is all still on the 24-hour mark, right?

You look like you're headed in the right direction. Considering that lots and lots of fishless cycles take about 70 days you are in quite good shape.

~~waterdrop~~

Yep, as near to 24hrs as I can do it.

Probably be earlier today so I can do the test in daylight. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back