My Fishless Cycle

joeskandal

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
BiOrb Life 60L
with integrated filter technology and bubble stone. (this comprises of a round housing, with a hole in centre for stone. there is a sponge on top and what looks like carbon pellets underneath this sponge)
Substrate is ceramic media provided with kit.
2 silk plants, and 2 plastic ones (waiting to find some nice real plants).
24 hour intelligent lighting system currently set to 12 hours of daylight, and 8 hours of moonlight, with an hour sunrise and an hour sunset.
Temp 30 degrees celcius.
Water moderately hard.
Ph is at 7.6 (high end 7.4)

Day 1 - Water and stress zyme added, as per instructions of aquarium
Day 2 - Added 2kg of mature media from exisitng tank (gravel in stocking).
Day 3(pm) - Added 3 ml of Ammonia. Ammonia readings just over 4.
Day 4(am) - Ammonia reading at 4.0, ph 7.6
Day 5(am) - Ammonia 4.0, nitrate 0, ph 7.6 zeolite removed, light turned off.
Day 6(am) - Ammonia 4.0, ph 7.6
Day 7(pm) - Ammonia 4.0, ph 7.6
Day 8(pm) - Ammonia 4.0, ph 7.6
Day 9(am) - Ammonia 4.0, ph 7.6
Day 10(pm) - Ammonia 4.0,ph 7.6
Break For Valentines Day...
Day 16(pm) - Ammonia 0.50, ph 7.6, Nitrite 0.25
Added 3ml of Ammonia
Day 17(am) - Ammonia 4.0, ph 7.6, Nitrite 1.0
Day 18(pm) - Ammonia 0.0, ph 7.6, Nitrite 5.0
Day 19(am) - Ammonia 1.0, ph 7.6 Nitrite >5.0
Day 19(pm) - Ammonia 0.0, ph 7.6, Nitrite >5.0
3ml Ammonia added
Day 20(am) - Ammonia 1.0, ph 7.6 Nitrite >5.0
Day 20)pm) - Ammonia 0.0, ph 7.6 Nitrite >5.0
3ml Ammonia added
Day 21(am) - Ammonia 2.0, ph 7.6, Nitrite >5.0
Day 21(pm) - Ammonia 0, ph 7.6, Nitrite >5.0
3ml Ammonia added
Day 22(am) - Ammonia 2.0, ph 7.6, Nitrite >5.0
Day 22(pm) - Ammonia 0, ph 7.2, Nitrite >5.0, Nitrate 20
Day 23(am) - Ammonia 2.0, ph 7.2, Nitrite 5.0, Nitrate 20
Mature Mopani wood added
Day 23(pm) - Ammonia 0, ph 6.8, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 20
3ml Ammonia added
Day 24(am) Ammonia 2.0, Ph 6.8, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 20
Day 24(pm) sodium Bicarbonate added (1tblspn)
Day 24(pm) - Ammonia 0, ph 7.6, Nitrite 0.25, Nitrate 5.0
3ml Ammonia added
Day 25(am) - Ammonia 0.25, nitrite 5.0, ph 7.6, nitrate 10.
day 25(pm) - ammonia 0, nitrite 0, ph7.6, nitrate 20
3ml ammonia added
Day 26(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 5.0, ph 7.6, nitrate 20
Day 26(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3ml Ammonia added.
Day 27(am) - Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 1.0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 20
Day 27(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5ml Ammonia added
Day 28(am) - Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 5.0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 20, ph high end 8.
Day 28(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3ml Ammonia added
Day 29(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 5.0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 29(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
ammonia added
Day 30(am) - Ammonia 2, Nitrite 2, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 30(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
ammonia added
Day 31(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.50, ph 7.6, Nitrate 0
Day 31(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5 ml Ammonia added
Day 32(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 2, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 32(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrite 10
3.5ml Ammonia added
Day 33(am) Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.50, ph 7.6, Nirate 10
Day 33(pm) Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5ml Ammonia added
Day 34(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0.25, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 34 (pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5ml Ammonia added
Day 35(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 35(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5 ml Ammonia added
Day 36(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 36(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5 ml Ammonia added
Day 37(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 37(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5ml Ammonia added
Day 38(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
Day 38(pm) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10
3.5ml Ammonia added
Day 39(am) - Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, ph 7.6, Nitrate 10

Great you've started your fishless cycling with mature media thread!

Up there with your line that tells us the tank volume is 60L/15G,
I would add a few things:
Filter manufac/model/type(whatever explains it)
substrate and objects already in tank,
any plants?,types?
lighting wattage/type, hours on,
tap water NH3,NO2,pH,NO3
hardness (just whether you think local water is hard or soft)

On the log entries I would add a few measurements of tank pH
as it would be good to see a few early on, but they won't need
to be daily for a while yet.

I'd add am/pm to the log lines once you get going.

I recommend 29C/84F as an optimal temp and of course a pH of 8.0 to 8.4 is the optimal pH range for the "bacterial growing soup," not that you necessarily make any changes to it but just to be getting an idea how off from that you are.

~~waterdrop~~

OK, good, note that if you don't have live plants then its best to just turn on the lights when you want to look at or work with the tank, during the cycling period. The trigger for algae is light + ammonia and during fishless cycling you are of course providing that in abundance. The light is the only one of the two essentials that you can remove! Once you've finished cycling there will be far less ammonia (although of course there's always a trace moving from the fish to the bacteria. That trace is enough to encourage algae, but we play with light hours to help minimize it.)

I forget if you've gone through our very common process of modifying the BiOrb filter so that it won't have Zeolite in it? Zeolite is a chemical resin that -chemically- removes ammonia (as opposed to biologically removing it as our bacteria do) and it appears as whitish or grayish chips mixed in with the carbon granules in part of the BiOrb filter.

~~waterdrop~~

OK, good, note that if you don't have live plants then its best to just turn on the lights when you want to look at or work with the tank, during the cycling period. The trigger for algae is light + ammonia and during fishless cycling you are of course providing that in abundance. The light is the only one of the two essentials that you can remove! Once you've finished cycling there will be far less ammonia (although of course there's always a trace moving from the fish to the bacteria. That trace is enough to encourage algae, but we play with light hours to help minimize it.)

I forget if you've gone through our very common process of modifying the BiOrb filter so that it won't have Zeolite in it? Zeolite is a chemical resin that -chemically- removes ammonia (as opposed to biologically removing it as our bacteria do) and it appears as whitish or grayish chips mixed in with the carbon granules in part of the BiOrb filter.

~~waterdrop~~

oh yeah, i noticed that, does it need removing??

Actually, I'm of two minds about it. In the past we've helped several people modify the situation basically by removing both the carbon and zeolite (neither of which is needed of course) and replacing them with various things. My recollection is that at least one person got a repeat of the circular sponge (I could be way off here) and did something like stacking two circular (doughnut shaped?) sponges on top of each other to fill the space of that part of the filter.

Now the reason I'm of two minds is that its possible that the amount of Zeolite is so small that it would just not be enough absorbsion(adsorbsion?) of ammonia (or it would get saturated so soon) that it really wouldn't starve the bacteria. The problem is that the only feedback you've got is the dropping of ammonia and we really can't tell for how long the dropping is due to zeolite or due to our bacteria! Perhaps do some searches on BiOrbs here in the beginner forum and see if you can uncover any of the members who modified theirs and you could PM them (assuming none of them see this thread.)

~~waterdrop~~

Actually, I'm of two minds about it. In the past we've helped several people modify the situation basically by removing both the carbon and zeolite (neither of which is needed of course) and replacing them with various things. My recollection is that at least one person got a repeat of the circular sponge (I could be way off here) and did something like stacking two circular (doughnut shaped?) sponges on top of each other to fill the space of that part of the filter.

Now the reason I'm of two minds is that its possible that the amount of Zeolite is so small that it would just not be enough absorbsion(adsorbsion?) of ammonia (or it would get saturated so soon) that it really wouldn't starve the bacteria. The problem is that the only feedback you've got is the dropping of ammonia and we really can't tell for how long the dropping is due to zeolite or due to our bacteria! Perhaps do some searches on BiOrbs here in the beginner forum and see if you can uncover any of the members who modified theirs and you could PM them (assuming none of them see this thread.)

~~waterdrop~~
To be honest, i think i will take my chances on this one.
Considering its already been removed and thrown away.
Im sure something like that wont make a difference, and like you say, how can i get an accurate reading if this stuff is just randomly sucking up the ammonia as and when it sees fit.
once i have go this fish-less cycle out of the way, it will give me a lot better insight into the control of waste chemicals etc etc, and keeping the chemicals balanced in my tank. i don't think i really need some kitty litter to do that for me.
Thanks reef-one, but no thanks.

i was sarcasticly thanking them for their generosity on adding the cat litter for me...

My nitrate level has changed from 0 to 5.0, is that rapid?

poo, i have just realised, i have been testing nitrates instead of nitrites.
I suppose this doesnt really matter, does it?
I mean, im waiting for the ammonia to drop back to 0 before i need to test anything else, but can i get confirmation, its definately nitrites i need to be testing for?????

help!!!

also, the little heater i bought specifically for biorb is up to the max, and the heat is still only about 22-23 max.
How much of a difference does it make to the cycle process??

Yes, I thought it was kind of odd that you were being so daily about nitrate(NO3) when its nitrite(NO2) you should be curious about at this early stage (sometimes a trace of nitrite begins to appear, giving you some encouragement despite no ammonia dropping yet.) Unfortunately, yes, higher temperatures do indeed serve as a significant stimulant to bacterial growth.

~~waterdrop~~
ps. now I understand your reef-one statement - I was thinking it was somebody's ID on the forum - I thought someone had commented to you and then had their posts deleted leaving your post commenting to a ghost member.. had a whole little made-up scene going :lol:

haha no, nothing that fun.
i have a good mind to take this heater back tp pets at home in that case, as it is not serving its purpose at all. it shouldnt take a week to heater the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back