The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yesterday was a 12 hour test sorry.

Day 29 (24hour)

Am= 0
NO2= 0.1
NO3= 50-110

OK, so looking like nitrites are dropping in 24 hours (rather than remaining spiked) but not in 12 hours, right? That, if true, would put you in the phase right after the nitrite spike. During this phase there can be an awfully high buildup of nitrites and nitrates because the ammonia oxidizers are now a stronger colony and have been putting out a lot during the nitrite spike and the excess just keeps building. Now you can do nothing and things will still go ok, but if you're interested in working with your tank some then I think as this phase goes along it can't hurt to do a large gravel-clean-water-change-ammonia-recharge on the weekend, as this will greatly lower the nitrates and nitrites, possibly helping the N-Bacs to reproduce a little faster. Its a trade-off because any time you do a water change during a fishless cycle there will be a bit of a "pause" in the processing, but usually it can have a bit of kickstart effect and things will go a little faster afterward.

~~waterdrop~~

Thanks waterdrop and yes my NO2 is dropping within 24 hours but not 12 hours. I'll do as you say and have a gravel clean and water change tomorrow daytime.

Missed last nights tests as i forgot to test before i added ammonia lol

Day 31 (12 hours)
Am= 0
NO2= 3.3
NO3= 110

ok so did water change yesterday and heres the results after..

Day 32 (12 hours)
Am= 0
NO2= 3.3
NO3= 110

Day 32 (24 hours)
Am= 0
NO2= 3.3
NO3= 110

What size water change was that? Maybe you need to do two water changes an hour apart and then recharge with ammonia. Have you got any rocks in there? And I assume your pH keeps hanging close to 8? And what is your substrate and tank size, I've forgotten.

Seems strange how your cycle seems to progress and then goes back to this same pattern.

~~waterdrop~~

The last water change i did was 90%
Havn't added any rocks only stuff i have in there is bogwood and 3 plants. PH = 8.0
Tank size is 60L with sand.

Should i do 2 water changes 1 hour apart now then?

Ok then,

Just finished the first water change (90%) will leave it for 1 hour then will do another 90% water change and add ammonia and test.

Ok just finished the 2nd water change and added 3 ml ammonia.
I will post results in an hour unless im meant to wait longer?

Ok results are 1-2 hours after ammonia added.

Am= 4-5
NO2= 0.5
NO3= 50-110

Day 33 (12 hours)

NO2= 3.3
NO3= 50-110

Day 33 (24 hours)

NO2= 0.3
NO3= 110

Day 34 (24 hours)

NO2= 0.3
NO3= 110