My Fish Has Actually Gone Missing From The Tank - Found

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishcakes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got 3 new corys (2 bronze, 1 albino) about 3 days ago. Came in from work today and one of the bronze corys has actually gone missing. I've removed the tank lid and searched that, removed all of the decorations from the tank, searched them thoroughly, moved the substrate around and then slowly put the decorations back into the tank. Only 2 corys, one bronze and one albino.

I feel like I'm going mad, we definately had 3 this morning! If it died and was eaten by the other fish, could it have disapeered so quickly?

How can it have gone missing?! It's a fish in a tank!

Have you checked inside your filter? Sometimes fish manage to get in.

Have you checked inside your filter? Sometimes fish manage to get in.

We've checked the filter, removed the media to look properly in the box part and not there. The tube going into the tank is far too small for a cory anyway, we have had a fry get trapped in the filter before but never an almost fully-grown cory.

I got 3 new corys (2 bronze, 1 albino) about 3 days ago. Came in from work today and one of the bronze corys has actually gone missing. I've removed the tank lid and searched that, removed all of the decorations from the tank, searched them thoroughly, moved the substrate around and then slowly put the decorations back into the tank. Only 2 corys, one bronze and one albino.

I feel like I'm going mad, we definately had 3 this morning! If it died and was eaten by the other fish, could it have disapeered so quickly?

Now the Cory fish looks like my Loach so if your one was a little ill it might have been eaten by the others

Ria

Now the Cory fish looks like my Loach so if your one was a little ill it might have been eaten by the others

Ria

Your post doesn't make sense.

Look outside the tank, sometimes fish try to experiment with a waterless environment. If you have any 4 legged pets it may have become a snack after jumping, having 3 dogs it's happened to me more than once.

Look outside the tank, sometimes fish try to experiment with a waterless environment. If you have any 4 legged pets it may have become a snack after jumping, having 3 dogs it's happened to me more than once.

We've searched the area around the tank best we can (we both work until late so both yesterday and now today we've got home when its already dark) but we can't see anything. The cory hasn't mysteriously reappeared so I think we are looking now for a dead fish :( can't imagine how, I fed them that morning and I didn't leave the lid open - we don't have any pets or children, just me and my boyfriend.

We've searched the area around the tank best we can (we both work until late so both yesterday and now today we've got home when its already dark) but we can't see anything. The cory hasn't mysteriously reappeared so I think we are looking now for a dead fish :( can't imagine how, I fed them that morning and I didn't leave the lid open - we don't have any pets or children, just me and my boyfriend.

hi - i agree with Tolak - one of my silver sharks swam quickly upwards once and popped right thru the triangular opening in the lid (used for access of pump and heater cords) if your water level is close to the lids this could have happened - if no pets to eat the fish...maybe a mouse took him home to play - otherwise i didn't catch how big your other fish are - I have experience small-fish-disappearance and found that the culprits were quite large spanner-barbs and they strike at night! abbyc

A cory is an armoured fish, if it had died and the other fish ate it, you would find the remnants of a huge (relatively) skull and many armour plates throughout the tank. I would check around and under anything near the aquarium. They also have spines for pectorals. Is there something it could have swum into and got stuck?

Found the fish, we were about to go out last night when I spotted a very dead cory floating on the surface. Must have been dead for 5 days, so it smelt pretty bad and we quickly got it out of the tank. Going to do a water change this evening just incase. I spoke to my LFS and they are getting a delivery of corys tomorrow so if we go there with a sample of our water they'll give us a replacement. Which means that if they can't blame it on us they'll give us our money back/another cory. And I know my water's fine as A) when I last tested it it was within cycled range (last night) and B) the other catfish are hyperactive like normal and so are my livebearers.

So sorry for your loss.
sad1.gif
I'm surprised you didn't get a big ammonia spike.

Cory should be kept in groups of at least 6 per species ...

What kind of tank decorations do you have? There's been a couple times where I've accidentally lifted my raphael catfish out of the water when cleaning the bottom of the tank, he's stubborn as a mule and when catfish stick out their spines, they're intent on not retracting until they feel safe again, so it's possible that while you looked for it, it might have got stuck in something without you noticing.

So sorry for your loss.
sad1.gif
I'm surprised you didn't get a big ammonia spike.

Cory should be kept in groups of at least 6 per species ...

I know, but as my tank was a fish-in cycling I'm getting my stocking slowly. I got 3 corys, then was planning on waiting a week before getting another 3.

And thanks, :(.

Edit: Just tested water again, and my ammonia level is reading as 0 ppm using my API master test kit (the liquid in the tube is a pale yellow, not even a slight shade of green). So it can't be ammonia poisoning.

Found the fish, we were about to go out last night when I spotted a very dead cory floating on the surface. Must have been dead for 5 days, so it smelt pretty bad and we quickly got it out of the tank. Going to do a water change this evening just incase. I spoke to my LFS and they are getting a delivery of corys tomorrow so if we go there with a sample of our water they'll give us a replacement. Which means that if they can't blame it on us they'll give us our money back/another cory. And I know my water's fine as A) when I last tested it it was within cycled range (last night) and B) the other catfish are hyperactive like normal and so are my livebearers.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that?

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that?

The range of a healthy fully cycled tank. So within the levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate that are considered cycled. So 0 ammonia, etc. :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back