My First 'proper' Planted Aquarium...

A more recent pic:

Picture107-1.jpg

Pruning is constant in a tank this small...

2) is ludwigia repens.

3) is a hygrophillia sp, most likley polysperma.

The first one isnt a bacopa sp because the leaves are too small and rounded.

Just read throught the whole of this thread and some excellent info and help been given :). Makes it so much easier for novices like me to feel more confident in trying bigger and better tanks .

nosoup the tank is looking awesome, well done and keep up the hard work you seem to be putting in :)

jen

Thanks JenClibee. I found that it is really fairly easy if you keep things simple. Thanks for the IDs Aaron.

A bit of an update, it has changed so much (to me at least) since I posted the last shot that I thought I would post a couple of new pics.

Picture117-1.jpg

Picture120-1.jpg

What do you guys think? Is it getting too cluttered? I rather like the 'wild' look of the tank but I'm afraid that the scape might be getting lost in the sea of green. The water isn't as cloudy as it looks. it is either a trick of the camera or a sign that I need to clean the glass. :lol:

Aw, thanks Chester. If only I could take a proper photograph. *sigh*

Anyone know of a good aquarium moss ID guide? I have come across several on the web but have yet to identify my moss. it came with another plant all brown and dead looking and has slowly come back to life. It is definitely not java moss but the side shoots don't look regular enough to be christmas moss and as we all know my photo skills are lacking so no pics for the experts here.

Thanks, I am still not entirely sure. Maybe it needs to grow a bit. I at least have a better idea of what it is not.

if your balance of CO2/ferts/light is good then you should easy have the growth I have. this is all 1 year old now but has been heavily pruned over that year so growth would be 4-5 times what you see here!!!

AC

Hello, is there a set of min numbers of all the CO2/ferts/light needed for all standered size tanks in gallons say for a 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 15 gallon, 20 gallons and so on something like a step by step set up on a planted tank for THE REAL,REAL dummies because from all I have been reading My head is spinning like a top and I'm confused from what is top and whats bottom and left from right. :-( (Flint40)

Hello, is there a set of min numbers of all the CO2/ferts/light needed for all standered size tanks in gallons say for a 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 15 gallon, 20 gallons and so on something like a step by step set up on a planted tank for THE REAL,REAL dummies because from all I have been reading My head is spinning like a top and I'm confused from what is top and whats bottom and left from right. :-( (Flint40)

I wish there were ;) would make life easy and a sticky would be the answer to all the prayers.

If the tank were empty with no substrate then as long as all the equipment used were the same and in identical positions, the tapwater all exactly the same from one identical source and exactly the same water level then it would be easy enough to say do this so that.

However Something as simple as putting a plant in makes 2 tank vastly different. Even with identical setups 1 plant will vary from another and therefore the flow around it will be different!!! Now add in all the differences we have in our various tanks and you can see how hard it is to get things to perfection!!!

An expert can lead you 50% towards perfection but then you have to make the other 50% because you are the one with the 'keys' to your setup :)

AC

Well, I happened to find a piece of the moss attached to the intake strainer on the filter so I thought that i would take the opportunity to try and get a good pic for IDing. Here it is:

Picture132.jpg

Any moss experts out there?

New tank pic...many might say it looks the same as the last update but, well, I can see the difference. lol

Picture141.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back