My Female Betta Turned Out To Be A Boy!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

She isn't right, that's for sure. I've seen this in other bettas, it's like they're stunted.

I'm not a professor on the topic but if i were you i certainly would'nt be breeding with her.
Just find another suitable good quality female and look after the other one as best you can.

Those lines carry or have carried DT based on their dorsal bases. Crooked spines are often a result of such lines and will be passed down to future generations.

While the parents are beautiful, it looks like a case of too much line breeding without new genes.

Perhaps I will tactfully suggest that she exchange my fish again. I think the fish was already hunchback when I got her she was just very small. The breeder picked her from the growout tank for me. And I didn't want to offend her by saying she looked odd, I thought it might have been the lighting. But as she got bigger it just got worse not better. She told me herself that she doesn't cull any of her fish so that's probably where her problem is.
And on finding a different breeder, are there any resources on finding a local one? I really don't feel comfortable buying bettas off the internet. Could I still use my males with a different female or are they just pets now?

thanks for all the good advice, it's really helped.

she is deffo deformed but I think she is a cutie pie! not for breeding though!

I tried again to get an exchange and she said no. That there is absolutley nothing wrong with her. To just breed the one I have and see what I get. :( I'm a bit frustrated. I definetly won't be getting any more fish from her.

I tried again to get an exchange and she said no. That there is absolutley nothing wrong with her. To just breed the one I have and see what I get. :( I'm a bit frustrated. I definetly won't be getting any more fish from her.

That isnt good, sorry you lost out there hon. Say your thoughts one more time, you don't appreciate her lack of customer service and will be finding an adequate and competant breeder to get your future purchases off.

Most reactions

Back