My betta with dropsy now has fin rot

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VulcanNinja

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Sorry, this topic was posted in Bettas but nobody replied until a minute ago. But please read and help:

I transfered my Betta with dropsy to his own tank, and today I noticed fin rot. The ends of his fins are slpitting and look like they are going to fall off.

I'm very worried I am convinced he will die soon. What should I do?

I was told to euthanize...does everyone agree? And I've never euthanized before. What is the most painless way. :no:

decapitiation and a needle through his brain...its sounds grose my its the most humane.

What about these??

Temperature shock method (freezing)

This method utilises the coldest water you can find - a bowl of water that has been placed in the freezer long enough for the surface to freeze is good. The surface ice is broken and the bowl taken to the dying fish.

The fish is then captured and dropped into the freezing water. The difference between the temperature of the tank and the freezing water causes an instant fatal shock to the fish nervous system stopping all organ functions instantaneously - anyone who has found themselves suddenly in water that is much colder than your body temperature will know the feeling when you initially can't breathe (people have died of heart failure under similar circumstances), it is like that but much more severe and sudden.

A variation on this is freezing alcohol (pure or vodka)

Stress is caused in the handling of the fish, but in most of the methods the fish must be handled - however this handling is brief.

Recommended for: tropical fish

Not recommended for: coldwater fish

Humane rating: 100%

Temperature shock method (boiling)

Works in the same way as the above temperature shock method, but involves dropping the fish into boiling water.

The main problem with this is not the effect on the fish, but rather our perception of it. Boiling something is usually for food, and things that are boiled are usually dead (lobster being the exception and falls under this category).

However this method is completely acceptable and humane for coldwater fish.

Recommended for: coldwater fish

Not recommended for: tropical fish

N.B. Caution should always be exercised when working with hot liquids, surfaces and devices.

Alcohol

As pure as possible - vodka, tequila.

The method is that you have the alcohol at the same temperature as the water in your aquarium - the fish is introduced to the alcohol and immediately becomes overwhelmed by it.

Alcohol works like an anesthetic and is at lethal levels. The fish will instantly be paralysed and unconscious, death follows quickly due to respiratory failure.

An alternative is freezing alcohol as mentioned above - that might, just be overkill.

Recommended for: all fish

Not recommended for: fish who attend alcoholics anonymous

could you get some clove oil from the pharmacist? (not prescription but you usually have to ask) There is a pin topic aound here on how to administer. the least gross and most humane method I think.

I don't know if this will be much of a comfort or not, but personally, I believe euthanasia is probably the most humane way to go for a fish that has dropsy. Dropsy has to be one of the worst--if not the worst--disease any tropical fish could get. Even your fish would to survive, dropsy can cause severe deformities in the bone structure and internal organs. It is also highly contagious; taking away from the other fish was the best thing you could do. I personally use the freezing water method; in any case, like I said before, you can at least take a little comfort in the fact that for a fish that sick, euthanasia has to be the most humane way to go. :/

Less than an hour ago I had to euthanise my own betta suffering from dropsy.

The kindest way (IMHO) that you can do this is by putting him in a small tub (I used a chinese take-away tub) and adding clove oil. If you don't have any clove oil try using a product such as ambesol (for tooth aches) or olbas oil. If you have any tooth ache products laying around the place - check the ingredients for clove oil.

Also you can use vodka, i've used a sleeping tablet from the chemist before now, but it takes abit longer.

Meanie! Don't jump on it!
Poor fishy... Look on the eutanasia pinned topic in.. either chit-chat or emergencies.

Guys I was going to get some clove oil today, but when I woke up, he had passed away. This was my very first fish, but I'm glad he died because he hadn't eaten in many days and wasn't doing well. Next time I will euthanize earlier. Thanks for the advice.

Sorry for your loss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back