Multiple Problems With Plants, Help Identify, Aponogeton Melting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I actually just moved it back where it was. The big trunk in the middle is obstructing the powerhead flow and basically the left side of the tank was getting no flow at all, plants dead still at that side, the front was also affected. There was pleco poop in several places. . The driftwood in the middle is too big to let the flow do it's job I think.

I noticed the top new leaves of the anubias having a few tiny spots of Green spot algae. Should I cut the light hours down from 8 to 6 hours? I think the light has a lot to do with it. This anubias is getting a lot of light where it is.

Is it possible that I have lack of phosphates maybe because of the green spot algae. I had an anubias positioned right under the light and it did get black algae but not green spot algae and it was there for months and months. The green spot is destroying the plant. Is it worth dosing a bit extra of it? I thought large weekly water changes/fish food, the macro ferts that contain phosphates etc...would provide enough of it?

Should do or you could get some ferts just containing P?

I thought large weekly water changes/fish food, the macro ferts that contain phosphates etc...would provide enough of it?

It's not as simple as that - Best to get the analysis off your fert bottle and work out what P you're adding in relation to your dose. Then you can work out if you need to add more, or at least how much more you're adding as nothing is set in stone.
Depending on where you end up adding more ferts or just Monopotassium Phosphate - KH[sub]2[/sub]PO[sub]4[/sub] might be the answer.

I'll pick up some separate ferts then and try to figure it out.

Have you worked out the Nitrate Phosphate ratio then that your dosing?

I actually just did, guess what, my macro bottle contains just nitrate and potassium and is phosphate free
blush.png
I don't know what I was reading on the bottle....I am an idiot.....I found an online calculator that can work out dosage to ppm depending on the brand/type of bottle and I am buying phosphate separately. Is monopotassium nitrate what I need or is there another form of phosphate I should use?

I thought it didn't have it, they do a separate bottle for Phosphate.

Thanks very much for the help so far. I'll get the Monopotassium Phosphate tomorrow and I'll let you know how it turns out.
Is it worth dosing extra of the the Easy Life Profito ferts too or probably the lack of phosphate was stopping my plants from utilizing the other ferts properly causing defficiencies? Also, will I leave the lights on for 8 hours or reduce?

I'd start with the P and stick to the same dose of the others mate,you can work out a ratio of what to dose,I think its 1:10 P&N.

Yes, I'll do 1:10 then and see what happens.

I got Easylife nitro, fosfo and potassium in separate bottles. If I dose per the recommended doses P and N are 1:20, should I increase the P to double dose so the ratio is 1:10 instead or 1:20 is enough?

Id go with standard dose to start with and see how the algae goes mate.

But then again to get rid of it quicker you could add more.

It's just so annoying. Basically adding CO2 and nutritients is not having a good effect on most of the plants at the moment. It's just hard to reach this balance.
I've noticed the new leaves of my smaller anubias have light green leaves with dark green veins, that's on top of the twisted growth of the larger anubias that happened a few weeks ago(not anymore though)
Is that calcium and magnesium deficiency respectively? Or iron deficiency at the moment maybe? I haven't tested the GH of the water but Ph is 7.4-7.6 so I presumed the water would have sufficient calcium and magnesium. I also tested the TDS if it matters and its 275ppm tank(245ppm tap) Also, that's just this tank. The anubias in the other tanks is growing just fine and gets the same amount of water changes a week from the same tap but doesn't get dosed with liquid carbon, just trace ferts(grew without it before just fine too)

As for the green spot algae and phosphates, today I dosed to 10:1 ratio so I practically doubled the phosphate dose. It's only been 2-3 days but how long before I see effect or actually move on to another solution in case that was not the cause?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back