Multiple Problems With Plants, Help Identify, Aponogeton Melting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

snazy

Moved On
Reaction score
I wasn't sure in which section to put it in but since I've got both plant and algae problems I'll go here.

So first of all about 2 months ago my tank developed black algae like the BBA but without the fluffy growth, more like charcoal kind of thing on the plants on one of the anubias in my tank on the new leaves, not the old ones. Part of the problem was probably me leaving the lights on for over 12 hours a day. So I reduced the light to 8 hours and started dosing liquid carbon(Easy Carbo) and Easy Life Profito. I dosed daily per the recommended dosage on the bottles.
Then a couple of weeks later I noticed new leaves were kind of twisted, some of the new ones were yellow and smaller than normal and older ones would develop a yellow tip extending towards the bottom, and even the unaffected anubias developed developed a twisted growth. So I started dosing nitrogen(Excel) that contains nitrate, phosphates and pottasium because my nitrAtes were constantly too low(5-10ppm), dosed daily too.

So since then the black algae kind of disappeared, my ottos cleaned the leaves of the affected anubias mostly but instead of black algae, the same anubias and leaves developed green spot algae. Again the old leaves don't have it, just the new ones and the very new few leaves that grew don't have it.

So yesterday I noticed my aponogeton ulvaceus developing defficiency signs it didn't have before, pictures below. I really don't want this plant to get destroyed as well as it was hard enough to grow without being eaten by the clown loaches who used to eat the new leaves. Also, the black dust/charcoal kind of thing seems to have appeared again although not nearly as bad as it was.
I have no idea what is going on in the tank at the moment. It looks like it's either having multiple problems or going through stages of problems. I am tempted to stop all ferts and co2 as I started having more problems than I ever had without them and the only problem I had before was BBA.

The tank is 330 litres has visually good flow, all the leaves of the plants, even the ones at the bottom are moving. The substrate is sand. I have a big pleco also and the sand stays spotless, no dead patches or debris gathering anywhere. It has an external APS filter rated 2000 L/H but according to most sources it provides just about half of that but it does create quite a turbulence at the top which I don't seem to be able to decrease, it destroyed the new floating plants I bought(salvinia minima and amazon frogbit, a few left but not growing and they are not small enough to get into filter). It also has a 2800 L/H hydor koralia pump in the tank and a couple of smaller filters, one hood filter with pump 900L/H and a spare filter I keep at 500 L/H.

Yesterday I received new lights for the tank because the old ones had a very strong green tinge which apparently isn't ideal for plants. Here are a couple of pictures before and after:

Old lights:

dscf2464cc.jpg

New lights from today:
dscf2602u.jpg

This is the Aponogeton ulvaceus with "melted" patches:

dscf2604m.jpg

Judging by the big anubias barteri var. barteri it kind of looks like the plant shows stages of the tank, each stage with certain defficiency maybe? Bottom/older leaves unaffected, then black algae leaves that turned into green spot in the space of a week max. Then new twisted pale growth leaves and finally a couple nicer looking leaves on top but with a very slight deposit of black algae I noticed yesterday and additionally the aponogeton started showing problems I noticed just recently.

Green spot algae pictures:

You can see the top two new leaves haven't developed anything yet but the ones immediately before them were the ones that were covered in black algae then in green spot algae:

dscf2611x.jpg

This is a picture of the older leaves of the same plant, not great picture but the leaves didn't have any major algae issues.

dscf2617e.jpg

Both big anubias suffered a twisted pale growth at the same time, each with a leaf that looked not developing right. It eventually grew but the twisted problem caused holes in it. It was like it coldn't grow enough tissue fast enough. On the smaller anubias it was more likely like very small yellowish leaves that don't grow right. The new few leaves developed fine but it's hard to see on the small anubias as I am not sure which ones are the new leaves. This is the end product below. This was a very twisted leave before it grew.

dscf2609g.jpg

And one of my ottos having a feast although they don't want to know about green spot algae:

dscf2616.jpg

I hope I don't scare you guys with so much info. I just wanted to include everything that can be important. I would appreciate any feedback on what I can do next to identify this thing before it actually destroys the plants. Thank you in advance.

I have no idea what is going on in the tank at the moment. It looks like it's either having multiple problems or going through stages of problems. I am tempted to stop all ferts and co2 as I started having more problems than I ever had without them and the only problem I had before was BBA.

Terrible Idea.

I haven't time to read it all and the history, but clear leaves and holes in leaves is CO[sub]2[/sub] - So you need to think about all the situation in which "not enough CO[sub]2[/sub]" can occur and address them. Looking at what the plant is saying really does give the best answers....

Terrible Idea.

I haven't time to read it all and the history, but clear leaves and holes in leaves is CO[sub]2[/sub] - So you need to think about all the situation in which "not enough CO[sub]2[/sub]" can occur and address them. Looking at what the plant is saying really does give the best answers....

I have no idea wht the plants are saying really :) , hence asking. Are the patches on the aponogeton CO2 related you think? There is no holes as such but dead patches and the one anubias leaf with a hole was very small and twisted while it grew, causing it to tear apart rather than the plants developing holes.
I am dosing Easy Carbo around 6ml per day for the 330 litre tank. What else can I do besides getting CO2 injected equipment as I don't have that many and type of plants that require that.

Forgot to mention, the new lights are 2x39W tubes Dennerle Special Plant growth with UV stop feature and 1x39W Dennerle Colour Plus with UV stop(apparently the UV stop feature filteres wave lenghts that promote algae growth. My smaller tank has these and doesn't have the slightest amount of algae so I am kind of hopeful the lights will help in a way too.

I guess no one has any idea or wants to help.

I went to the shop where I bought the aponogeton and asked the owner who has the plant in his display tank. He said browning, melting tips can happen when the plant grows too fast too tall and it lacks nutritients. He said to up the dose per day. I am not sure how much but will put 1ml extra a day on top of what I was dosing already.

What filter or power heads are you using?

The filter is APS 2000L/H(I know it's supposed to be a lot less). There is a hood filter(trickle filter) rated 800L/H. I also have a small Fluval U2 internal in there and a Hydor Koralia 2800L/H powerhead.

Any way of showing us where the various equipment is located in the tank?

It's on the pictures of the tank that I posted before(the two that show the new lights)
The powerhead is to the left just under the filter outlet. The trickle filter falls from the top back along the lenght of the tank. To the very right behind the anubias are the two intake tubes and the fluval filter is in front of them there, also to the right.

The APS filter blows on the surface from left to right along the lenght of the tank and the outlet is about 15-20 cm below the surface.
The koralia power head is just beneath the external filter outlet, pointed towards the front and a bit down to provide flow on the side left of the driftwood tree.
The trickle filter as I said above just has it's tiny outlets pouring water down along the back lenght of the surface.
The hagen filter blows from right to left.
Generally, all plant leaves are swaying and debris wise the flow is enough to take it all in without dead spots that I've noticed.

From the look of it your flow in the tank is a bit all over the place, I can see 3 outlets pointing in different directions, maybe set them up so they all compliment one flow all round the tank running in a circle.

Yeah, it sounds like it. I am not sure how to position them so it runs in a circle? I can't move the external or the trickle filter.
The power head does a great job picking up debris from the left side too. That small hagen filter I don't even count it for flow really and it's been there just a month as it's a spare filter.
I put some bigger food today(cichlid sticks) and they got eventually blown towards the right corner where the filter intake tubes are. Isn't that the right way for the flow to go or should I try changing it somehow? There's a few surviving floating plants that are circling in that corner too.

you want the flow to come out of the outlet and have the inlet below it coming in same corner so the flow runs along the top of the tank, down the right hand side and back along the bottom towards the outlet and then position your other bits to compliment it, so put the power head on the right facing the inlet of the left so its compliments the flow of the external. You could prob do away with the rest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back