Moving To A Bigger Tank

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

bivalvelover

Reaction score
Title is as it says. Iā€™ve had my 20g set up for a month now. Itā€™s parems are great, fish are seeming to be thriving. Weā€™ve had our ups and downs.

I want to move them into a bigger thank. I recently found someone selling a 65 gallon and Iā€™m purchasing it. This is obviously a huge change for all of us, and Iā€™m wondering do I start up and cycle the new tank? Do I move them from this one? Do I use the water from this tank? I have a lot of questions, I know, but Iā€™m trying hard to be the best fishy dad I can be. I think that more space for them would be better, and yeah, maybe I can get a couple more šŸ˜‰. But mostly, Iā€™m wanting to provide the more space I can. So!

Do I start up this new tank fresh? Cycle it, then move? Do I use the old water at all? Please give me your advice!

Do I start up this new tank fresh? Cycle it, then move? Do I use the old water at all? Please give me your advice
The water holds negligible amounts of beneficial bacteria, so it is not necessary to reuse old water.
You will want to cycle the new tank however, You can use some filter media from your 20g to seed the filter on the 65g and speed up the cycle.

There is no benefit of using the old tank water but using the old filter is the quickest way to cycle the tank. You can run it alongside a new bigger filter (assuming you need bigger?) for a while whilst the new tank gets established or you can just add all the old media to the new filter. You can transfer the existing fish at the same time as the filter/ media. Don't add more fish for a couple of months to allow the filter to properly cycle.

As you have only been set up for a month you will need to carefully monitor the ammonia/nitrite levels but the larger volume of water will help alongside not overfeeding and doing frequent large water changes.

Title is as it says. Iā€™ve had my 20g set up for a month now. Itā€™s parems are great, fish are seeming to be thriving. Weā€™ve had our ups and downs.

I want to move them into a bigger thank. I recently found someone selling a 65 gallon and Iā€™m purchasing it. This is obviously a huge change for all of us, and Iā€™m wondering do I start up and cycle the new tank? Do I move them from this one? Do I use the water from this tank? I have a lot of questions, I know, but Iā€™m trying hard to be the best fishy dad I can be. I think that more space for them would be better, and yeah, maybe I can get a couple more šŸ˜‰. But mostly, Iā€™m wanting to provide the more space I can. So!

Do I start up this new tank fresh? Cycle it, then move? Do I use the old water at all? Please give me your advice!

Hello. The water from the 20 holds little or no bacteria. However, by keeping the water from the 20 and adding it to the 65, you'll be helping to establish the water chemistry in the new tank. Everything from the old, established tank can be used and will be of benefit to the new 65, if you've kept a healthy 20.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Most reactions

Back