Most interactive FW fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

konrad05

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already posted, but in your opinion what do you think is the most interactive freshwater fish? Solo, or in groups, doesn't matter.

Interactive as in friendly? I'd vote for corydoras but I'm prejudiced, I love them. Guppies are quite tame and always out for food so they suck up really good if they think you're a softie in the feeding department. :D Interactive as in terrorizing a tank? One of those red-tailed sharks OR a single tiger barb or green barb(in a school they're great though, no problems). My daughter got some zebra danios and they were so aggressive we had to give them away, they were after the guppies, the cories, anything that moved. Yeesh. :( No clue why.

Interactive as in "I know you're in the room, now come over here so I can show off to ya?" Definitely a Betta! Mine does that all the time. Guppies will put on a huge show if they think you're going to feed them, then they ignore ya :X , but my Betta will sometimes just want company and acts genuinely happy to me when I enter his room space. :wub: I find my tetras tend to act more like what I think are typical fish, keep to themselves, dart out for food but don't care if I'm there or not. They tend to keep to themselves too, while the guppies and corydoras are into everything and anything, always curious. Hope that helps! I hear goldfish really get to know their masters, koi too, but I don't have tanks big enough for them. (besides how they remember you with supposedly only a 3 second memory is beyond me)

A midas/red devil. I've never seen such a fish in my life :rolleyes: Mine thinks he's people. I laugh at him all the time because sometimes when I walk by his tank I hold out my arms and say "Hi my baby!!!" and he gets so excited like he'd rush into them if only he could :rolleyes: He knows he's mama's boy :wub:

Of my fish, my P. senegalus is pretty tame, as is my parrot fish.

So are bettas. :nod:

my oscar is friendly to me, as in letting me pat him or rearrange anything in the tank but won't let anyone else. Hes also helped me catch fish in the past when i was failing miserably with the net. But you probably meant non-cichlid right?
then I'd have to say guppies, there so trusting you can even pick them up!

i would have to say oscars :D they have ALOT of personality, are fun to watch, and like to be petted :blink:

wow thanks guys! I think I'm going to do some research on either a midas/red devil , oscar or mbunas that was suggested. Hope I have luck keeping them, thanks again!

I know that puffers are intelligent, not sure how interactive they are though. Try asking the Minions about that...

My Uaru is becoming pretty familiar with me :D He rushes up to the top of the tank like a puppy begging for food :wub:
You have a senegal bichir Cometcattle? I never knew :p

Oh geez, I've wanted an oscar so bad after reading about them here. They just crack me up so bad.

Cichlids. Any cichlid IME are highly interactive with people, they are very interested in whatever is going on. I've even lived with one who tried to get to the dog after the dog kept staring at it long enough, quite funny.

out of the fish i have i would have to say my gourami is the most interactive, any time my hand is in the tank he always comes up and feels my hand with his feelers, and he is never scared of me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back