Molly With Split In Tail

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

UKSPEED

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My female dalmation has a split in her tail, only noticed it a couple of days ago. I've heard this can be due to poor water quality, although my water levels are fine. All other fish are unaffected, and she is still happily swimming about. She is constantly hassled by the males, I wonder if it can be caused by stress?

Any information would be great, thanks :)

some times a tail can split from having to swim a lot just like some betta tails split when there's a lot of current. As far as I'm aware it's nothing to worry about and it heals very quickly, often in 2-3 days. Some one else may have some more information.

Thanks. I'm thinking being chased all the time is probably the reason!

It's recommended to have at the very least a ratio of 1m:2f, and better to have 1:3, or even 1:4. Whilst this does increase the chances of being overrun with fry, it does save the females an awful lot of stress.

I did used to have 2:2, but unfortunately one female died a few days after dropping fry, not quite sure why. I have a few female fry at about 4 months now, so when they're a bit older hopefully it will level out the stress levels a bit!

Most reactions

Back