Misinformation At Pet Stores

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

karawr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of debate and feelings over how adequate some pet store employees are on teaching about fish and aquariums... especially in the larger stores like petsmart, petco, etc. I know personally at my local petsmart the employees don't know very much about aquatics.

Today I dropped in there and listened anxiously as an employee gave a silly speech about how bottled bacteria is important, and that you need to rinse filter media every 3 months in tap water.

Being concerned for the fish, and always wanting to inform people on proper aquatic care (even though my knowledge is little compared to most on this forum..), I had it in mind to approach them later and tell them how it really is.

Anyone have thoughts on helping a "fellow consumer" when you stop by the pet store?

While I would love to help each and every person when im in a fish shop, I feel its not my place to say anything and that those people I approach will (rightly or wrongly) value the opinion of the staff member(who they may view as being trained/knowledgable) over a stranger that taps them on the shoulder!

i really dont give adults buying tanks for their kids advice or anything, because i think that they will judge me because im only 11 and they will think i know little to nothing about fish and the proper care for them, just because im so young, so i really dont bother with this kind of stuff. If I did give out advice occasionally i would go up to the costumer while they arent busy and ask them what fish they would like, how big there tank is going to be, i would tell them about compatibility, inform them about the fish they want, tell them about fish in cycles and fish less cycles, and also give them information about the proper care of fish

+1 ff2
I'd do the same, i'm young but not as young as ff2 lol. I give people advice occasionally. Whenever someone at a store like that gives me advice I research it before I take their advice.

I like to tell people to join the forum :good: Also, I've flat out told an employee at a pet store that they were misinforming the customer. They didn't like it but the truth does tend to hurt a person. The way I see it is maybe it will get them thinking about what they said...after they get over wanting to kick my teeth in first lol.

the truth does tend to hurt a person. The way I see it is maybe it will get them thinking about what they said...after they get over wanting to kick my teeth in first lol.

Lol I still think employees should go through a tad more training though unless they're like a fish expert like us

IVe been approached a number of times by other customers (mostly of the very old variety) who have given me excellent advice on whatever it appears that i am interested in. I greatly appreciate it!

DH is spot-on - who's going to believe some random twonk over the "expert" who works in the industry? No-one appointed us LFS-Police, much as I'm sure we'd all like to fulfill that role!

Unfortunately, we just have to accept that that particular person is receiving bad advice.

That said, I did once overhear some iffy advice about a RTBS, so I went up just behind them, and said very loudly "ooh, a Red Tailed Black Shark, I don't think that's suitable for our 65l tank, I'll go on to FISHFORUMS.NET tonight and just check." Dunno if the other customer got the hint or not, but at least I tried.

I'm so lucky. The employees at my Petco know exactly what they are talking about.

Sorry i didn't realize how old this thread was until after i posted

So much of the hobby is steeped in myth and misconception and even some that have been in the hobby for extended periods have notions that just miss the mark.
I was in a big box pet store a while back when a relatively experienced employee told a customer that sand was not a good substrate for a planted tank. Of course she was quite wrong, but in her defense, I suspect that at some point she had tried a fine sand and it did not work well for her. Not all sand is the same.

Misconceptions: A bottled bacteria product can be important in a new setup to jump start the N2 cycle...although any long term use is pointless (even though the marketing teams from some manufacturers would have us believe it). As far as periodically rinsing bio-media, manufacturers recommend it. Why? Because the increased surface area of many bio-medias are the result of tiny pores. Pores that can become clogged with detritus and rendered far less effective. And rinsing under the tap does not kill all the beneficial bacteria - believe it or not.

So you see, even somewhat experienced fish keepers get ideas that may or may not be all that accurate...but opinions vary!

I just got the worst advice ever at a local pet store. Your ick problem is actually an allergic reaction to algae build up on plastic plants, buy live plants and you wouldn't have a problem.

I think stores like petsmart and petco are a hit or miss. I rarely go to those stores anymore but when I do, I only go to this one petsmart which is farthest away from me because the person their is considerably knowledgeable.

I agree with fishy friend 2. Whenever I go to stores like petsmart and petco I see people tanking home fish that would never do well together and the employees are just letting them go.(like the time a customer took home only 2 tiger barbs and they should have taken a whole school). I just don't think it's my job to go prove the employees wrong even if I may be right about what I say. I also don't think that they will take my advice because of my age.

And rinsing under the tap does not kill all the beneficial bacteria - believe it or not.

So you see, even somewhat experienced fish keepers get ideas that may or may not be all that accurate...but opinions vary!

Very true but i would not want to rinse my filter media in tap water risking the hard won bacteria when at the same time i am dumping 80 to 100l of tank water, just rinse the media in that in a bucket. That must be the best of both worlds.

That water is great for plants too, and the 'media residue' .

I always cringe in pet shops, even the tabs describing them. "keep algae under control" on a tank with baby bn's in it sound familia, or RTBS with "good community fish", yep in an 8 ft tank with nothing the same shape or with a red tail:hey:.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back