Minimum Size For A Betta Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I say minimum is 3gallons.
I have a 3 gal tank that was given to me, that I heated and filtered perfectly fine and kept bettas in it (one at a time of course heh).
It gave the betta plenty of swimming space, was no problem to heat, and the little bubble filter worked perfectly for it.
If you can get bigger though, then of course that's better, but if you only have space for something a little smaller, then just be prepared to take extra care w/ it. Keeping water stats stable in a smaller tank is a bit more difficult, but it's very doable.

I find it extremely rude, uncalled for, insulting to say it's lazy to keep a betta in something less than a 5gal tank.

Not making space for a bigger home when space can be made ( and it can in most homes ) IS lazy.

Well, without saying something I'll regret later....
I'll just say your statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Not going to get in to a big arguement over it b/c it's not worth it.

Amunet-
agreed 100%. i sure am not lazy where ANY of my pets are concerned. and their well-being is always thought of. i am absolutely in agreement that tiny unheated/unfiltered bowls are completely ridiculous and horrid. this is a moot point.
a regret being called a lazy fishkeeper. but no need to argue. we are all posting opinions on what WE have found to be successful in keeping happy healthy bettas.
cheers!

Not making space for a bigger home when space can be made ( and it can in most homes ) IS lazy.
Then why haven't you scrapped your multiple 5 gallon tanks positioned side by side and got a 15+ gallon tank as replacement yet?

Lazy hypocrite.

I'll never ever agree with keeping one in anything smaller than 5 gals when I know for a fact, the average home and even a small apartment has space for 5 gals. I have no time for poor space management through laziness with fishkeeping.

I have a 3 gallon spare under my bed ( for a future shrimp project ) . I'd smash it rather than keep a betta in it. *shrug*

Isn't your betta's hex tank 5 gallons? If that's your minimum, then isn't it somewhat lazy/careless of you to only keep your betta in the minimum sized tank if you could upgrade even a little? I do agree that 5 gallons is a good size for a betta (and is bigger than my idea of minimum sized tank), but I don't think it's fair to call people lazy if you can't provide your betta with something better than your idea of a minimum sized tank.

If your betta's tank is bigger than 5 gallons then disregard this comment. Sorry, I don't want to get into any kind of argument either, but I couldn't help but say something about this laziness business.

I don't think it's being lazy, not at all! Some people work harder for a well maintained 3 gal than for an empty unheated 5 gal. It's a matter of providing heat and clean water, as well as places to play and hide. I'm pretty sure all of us can agree that quality is much more important in this instance.

Now please, let's not argue. It's very rarely worth it.

I think everyone has pretty much expressed their opinion here, and the thread is starting to go in the wrong direction, so it is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back