Minimum Size For A Betta Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personly I would say 3-5 gallons. But as other people have said if you have the money and space for a bigger tank then please buy it. You can put more shrimp and corys etc in a bigger tank then you can with a 5G. 5G is really only lettig you put 1 male betta and maybe (Pushing it) some snails. the bigger the tank the happier the betta too,

Sorry to high-jack your thread but would a 4G be alright for 1 male on his own. Alot of people sais it should be fine, just making sure really :)

i think 3g is the min there a lot happyer i use to have on in a 1g tank and it used to bearly move but the one i have now is in a 3g and seems alot happyer
hears his tank

Every betta i've ever owned as been very happy and healthy in a minimum of 2 gallons.
As long as they're not kept in a betta bowl or vase/plant and given very frequent water changes, (when i kept one in a 2 gallon i did 100% water changes daily, every other day at the most. he's in a 55 gal now.)

But of course, the bigger the better.
Any fish will always be happier in a bigger tank.
The rumor that bettas prefer smaller tanks is a myth.

Doesn't matter Too much to me. I have a betta PLAN:
Step 1-
Get the 5.5 gal from LFS
Step 2-
Gradually save for equipment, while running filter in existing tank.
Step 3-
Betta!

Three steps! (And the tank is only $15!)
I sorta feel now, that if it's that easy, why put the fish in a teeny tank? In the 5.5, couldn't you have cories? Depending on the betta?

Doesn't matter Too much to me. I have a betta PLAN:
Step 1-
Get the 5.5 gal from LFS
Step 2-
Gradually save for equipment, while running filter in existing tank.
Step 3-
Betta!

Three steps! (And the tank is only $15!)
I sorta feel now, that if it's that easy, why put the fish in a teeny tank? In the 5.5, couldn't you have cories? Depending on the betta?

5.5 is kind of small for cories. You might be able to get away with a small group of pygmy cories, as they get about an inch in size. You would definitley have to do very frequent water changes though.

Good point. Sooo. Maybe leave out the tank mates bit, except for some cool snails. :)
Shrimp... I don't know, I feel like the betta will think I gave him some new live food... What do you think?

Larger shrimp such as Ghost shrimp and adult Amanos should be fine. It would be better to add the shrimp before the betta though, he's less likely tothink it's feeding time that way.

I sorta feel now, that if it's that easy, why put the fish in a teeny tank?

You are right, there is absolutely NO reason for anything smaller than 5 gals . It's the easiest small size to heat and filter, equipment for this is readily available and fairly cheap.

5 gals gives the fish plenty of room to swim, and you can have invertebrate tankmates like shrimp and snails if you like without upsetting your water quality.

With a filter, you do not have to subject the fish to daily water changes, and you are MUCH less likely to have your water suffer from ammonia or nitrite spikes due to waste being processed by the bacteria in the filter.

Having the filter reduces the need for water changes since it does the work of processing waste. With a stable mature filter you only need to do 1-2 , 25-50% water changes a week.

Seriously no need not have 5 gals filtered and heated. It's a hell of a lot safer for the fish, more stable, and still fits in small spaces like desks/worktops ect.

How does one heat a 2.5 gal? Without boiling the fish...

You heat the room instead...

Which, unless you are a breeder with a fish room, or you live in an extremely hot country is insanely impractical and pointless. Getting a much bigger tank that can comfortably hold a 25 watt heater and a small sponge filter ( this would be 5 gallons oddly enough ) is easier and better for the fish and yourself.

i have three bettas. one in a 6 gal with some cory tankmates, and two in 3 gal tanks. all three tanks have diy sponge filters and 25 watt heaters. every fish is happy as pie and nice and healthy. also plenty of room to swim and explore. real plants in every tank and snails in every tank.
three gallons is a perfectly acceptable home. there is a lot you can do with the space and PLENTY of room for a sponge filter and small heater. in fact, the boys in the smaller tanks are MORE active than my red boy in the 6 gal.
if you can provide a filter and heater and the fish can swim around and have things to explore and occupy themselves, whatever tank you use is fine.
this is a never-ending battle on this board. of course bigger is better, but dont feel guilty about a smaller tank if you can provide a quality home that has a filter and heater!
cheers

Hm, 5 gallons is definitly easier,I have 2 males in that size and they seem to like it and i can put more shrimp in it , but i also have 2 males in 3 gallons each and they are just as happy.

I'll never ever agree with keeping one in anything smaller than 5 gals when I know for a fact, the average home and even a small apartment has space for 5 gals. I have no time for poor space management through laziness with fishkeeping.

I have a 3 gallon spare under my bed ( for a future shrimp project ) . I'd smash it rather than keep a betta in it. *shrug*

I'll never ever agree with keeping one in anything smaller than 5.5 gals when I know for a fact, the average home and even a small apartment has space for 5.5 gals. I have no time for poor space management through laziness with fishkeeping.

I have a 5 gallon spare under my bed ( for a future shrimp project ) . I'd smash it rather than keep a betta in it. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back