Mini Predator or Opportunist predator/Omnivore tank

What size tank are you planning for? I keep mainly predators and have done so for over 20 years but mine are mainly larger fish but I have a couple of ideas size of tank dependant

You're down the road from me I am in Bromborough Wirral
Any ideas on what fish for what size tank as I will get a tank that would suit whatever fish. 150 litres would probably be for a few dependent on size but even that may be too small but then again I don't even wanna go that big for my first tank if I can go slightly but obviously not too much smaller as with being a beginner it may be easier with a smaller tank. Any ideas for fish and what tank size?

Cheers

Ah like Esox but in a tank form. Got it. In that case I have no ideas, but people here recently started keeping Channas and they look georgeous. The size though

Ah like Esox but in a tank form. Got it. In that case I have no ideas, but people here recently started keeping Channas and they look georgeous. The size though
You can get dwarf Snakeheads but you can't really find tankmates for them and they need to be kept Subtropical at room temperature no heater apparently for Channa Bleheri anyway. Cool if you wanna keep one on its own though. There are quite a few pike like species like Pike Livebearers and Crencichla Cichlids etc

Like a chicken and egg situation I guess.

Tank size will depend on what fish ou decide you want to keep but I can guaranteee that whatever you get you will want bigger if you are into that kind of fish

smaller preds could be something like Bucktooth tetra which I believe are like mini piranha
I love channa and kept loads of them about 20 years ago and bred some, bleheri, Gachua etc were ace to keep but definitely species only

Again things like African knifefish, butterflyfish maybe bigger than you are planning but examples of smaller preds

Finest aquatics by you have dwarf pike cichlids in

Like a chicken and egg situation I guess.

Tank size will depend on what fish ou decide you want to keep but I can guaranteee that whatever you get you will want bigger if you are into that kind of fish

smaller preds could be something like Bucktooth tetra which I believe are like mini piranha
I love channa and kept loads of them about 20 years ago and bred some, bleheri, Gachua etc were ace to keep but definitely species only

Again things like African knifefish, butterflyfish maybe bigger than you are planning but examples of smaller preds

Finest aquatics by you have dwarf pike cichlids in
That is the only place I didn't check out in Widnes I checked 3 others. Premier Aquatics by me is really good the stock is always changing aswell he gets more in. I will have to have a look there when I go next. Maidenhead Aquatics in Bold Heath had Pike Cichlids in but ones that grow too large for what tank size I'd want. I'd say I'd go with either a 29 gallon long or a 40 gallon breeder which is 150 litres I'm not sure what 29 gallon long is. I'm used to seeing the sizes people talk about on MonsterFishKeepers and on YouTube Videos so theyre usually American sizes.

I'm not that keen on Exodon Paradoxus to be honest, and Channa just because it'd have to be a species only so I'm guessing I'd have to look at things that would be more Opportunist rather than obligatory piscivores. Leopard Bush Fish are an option I guess but I prefer something with teeth. When I clicked on your profile a photo of a fish came up, is that an African Tiger Fish?

Yeah I just want one that looks more like a predator then probably have a leopard Bush Fish and other fish like that which would eat othe fish if they could, but have a tank apex but other fish being too big for it to eat but would take insects or fish if the opportunity arose themselves, although I won't be feeding them fish probably as I know that can introduce parasites and disease. Probably just other livefoods and flames and pellets etc.

back when I was into fish 20 years ago, I remember seeing what they were calling freshwater barracuda's... not sure how big they got, but I often saw them in tanks with similar sized fish, never saw one longer than 6 inches, & just remember I thought their mouths looked like a Doberman's
I think they might be Hujeta Gars that people call freshwater Barracudas I could be wrong though. Yeah I think they aren't too big but due to their nature they need bigger tanks as they are really active and fast and can hit the glass sometimes apparently. I think it's them anyway. Cool fish.

It wasn't the Hujeta Gar it was another fish, but on the tank size and their nature I was correct.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240130-131610.png
    Screenshot_20240130-131610.png
    110.4 KB · Views: 5
I'm not that keen on Exodon Paradoxus to be honest, and Channa just because it'd have to be a species only so I'm guessing I'd have to look at things that would be more Opportunist rather than obligatory piscivores. Leopard Bush Fish are an option I guess but I prefer something with teeth. When I clicked on your profile a photo of a fish came up, is that an African Tiger Fish?

Yeah I just want one that looks more like a predator then probably have a leopard Bush Fish and other fish like that which would eat othe fish if they could, but have a tank apex but other fish being too big for it to eat but would take insects or fish if the opportunity arose themselves, although I won't be feeding them fish probably as I know that can introduce parasites and disease. Probably just other livefoods and flames and pellets etc.

I think you'll struggle to satisfy what you need with that size tank tbh its a tough one

Yes thats my tiger got my bigger tank for him as hes growing well. About 13" now with lots of teeth :)

I'm thinking of maybe just getting A Leopard Bush Fish, a small school of Congo Tetras and A small West African Cichlid no more than 4" max. What tank size do you think I would need for that? If need be I could just get the Leopard Bush Fish and Congo Tetras, the Tetras should be too big for the Leopard Bush Fish to fit in it's mouth anyway, or even some African Red eye Tetras.

I’ve never had a Leopard fish, but I remember people complaining, that they hide all the time… may have been that particular tank set up???

Last edited:
They will do as they're ambush predators they hide a d try and mimic leaves and ambush their prey, you'd probably have to have a sparingly planted aquarium to see them more I'm guessing I don't know, it's a shame if that's the case, which seems likely aswell, as they're beautiful fish.

Assuming the OP is not in the states... this is one of the best mail order fish places here...
a little on the last fish you mentioned... if it's not the fish you were talking about, sounds like it would be a good candidate...

or actually there are several varieties of Archer fish, that would make a cool tank if set up for them to shoot wingless fruit flies off of some emergent plants

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back