Mini Predator or Opportunist predator/Omnivore tank

Panchax83

Reaction score
I'm looking to set up a tank and was thinking of a mini out and out predator tank but after speaking to my local fish store they said it would be a really hard tank to pull off. Obviously he is busy and can't get back to me for a while so I was wondering... What if I was to choose one out and out predator of about 4" (6 at the very max) and the others that are more insectivorous or omnivorous like the Golden Wonder variant of the Striped Panchax, A Giant Betta, some.relatively large Tetras (2-3") and a couple of smaller sized Offers, I do realise the Puffers would be unlikely to pull off with this one but would be good if it could work, I would have said specifically pea Puffers but they may be too small. What type of tank size am I looking at and does anyone have any suggestions of fish that are insectivorous or omnivorous but would leave fish alone too large to fit in their mouth but would take smaller fish if given the opportunity (and no I'm not gonna feed them fish, it's just I like to have as near to the mini predator tank I wanted only I was told.it wouldn't be practical) These all have to be able to thrive in softish water.

Thankyou.

There is a serious market for predatory fish these days, but most fish that are able to devour tankmates tend to be larger.
An awful lot of our smaller fish are insectivores. If you won't be feeding live fish to your hunters, you might want to stick with insect catchers. I'm not a fan of fish predators in the tank, just to clarify.

Golden Wonder linebred morphs of A. lineatus tend to be very slow, very lumpy and very prone to obesity. Even as a killiekeeper, that's a fish I find dull. They'll eat bugs or fish.

How large will the tank be, how will the water move (filtration) and what kind of tank do you want to see in terms of activity?

I can't see where you are to have an approximate idea of what you might be able to get.

On a whim, I bought 2 small Amazon spotted puffers, very personableā€¦ supposedly you can mix them with other fish, though I would expect anything with extra finnage may get tasted but they are social, and are better in groups it would be interesting to build a tank around a small group of them, and I may try to do that laterā€¦

Predators can be hard to keep in groups, in general, even if they donā€™t out and out eat each other, there can be bullying and resulting stress, and thus deathā€¦

There is a serious market for predatory fish these days, but most fish that are able to devour tankmates tend to be larger.
An awful lot of our smaller fish are insectivores. If you won't be feeding live fish to your hunters, you might want to stick with insect catchers. I'm not a fan of fish predators in the tank, just to clarify.

Golden Wonder linebred morphs of A. lineatus tend to be very slow, very lumpy and very prone to obesity. Even as a killiekeeper, that's a fish I find dull. They'll eat bugs or fish.

How large will the tank be, how will the water move (filtration) and what kind of tank do you want to see in terms of activity?

I can't see where you are to have an approximate idea of what you might be able to get.
Hmm, I may have to just look at the normal striped Panchax then. Still a beautiful fish but for some reason seems to not be as readily available as the golden variant. That's the thing I can't think what I could get that could be in that way compatible, My local tropical fish shop said water here is very soft perfect for South American and West African fish especially.

Amazon Puffers could be interesting. When I've spoken on forums that have a lot of Americans on they usually say communities especially or anything with fish over 4 inches should be at least in a 40 gallon breeder which I believe is over 180 litres.

I'd like a pair of Amazon Puffers but my missus wants a couple of Bettas in there and I would imagine they would get their fins nipped by the Puffers. I'm not sure if Pea Puffers could work with Bettas.

What small Predators or mainly insectivores like the Golden Panchax would work? My Local Fish Store mentioned Crenuchlus Spilurus?

Can you feed them insects at the surface like crickets etc from pet shops or would there be a risk of parasites. I imagine I'd need at least a 29 gallon. I'm looking for all fish to be 2-5" preferably maxing out at 4", maybe one in there that is 6" max but yeah id prefer all fish to max out at 4" if its possible to keep the tabk not too large being a beginner, its just some of the fish that interest me can hit 6".

For instance if I fancied getting a Geophagus in there I'd have to look at one on the smaller end of the scale.

On a whim, I bought 2 small Amazon spotted puffers, very personableā€¦ supposedly you can mix them with other fish, though I would expect anything with extra finnage may get tasted but they are social, and are better in groups it would be interesting to build a tank around a small group of them, and I may try to do that laterā€¦

Predators can be hard to keep in groups, in general, even if they donā€™t out and out eat each other, there can be bullying and resulting stress, and thus deathā€¦
They do interest me but being a soft acidic water area it's Hard really to keep snails etc that they need to keep their teeth filed down, so I've read anyway, although pea Puffers don't need that but they may either be fin nippers or prey with being so small, the LFS have a big Fahaka Puffer as their Display... Follows you around, would absolutely love that but it's tank is huge and will probably need upgrading as it hits 18" or so. Amazing fish I have to agree there.

I've always found the best way to discuss is for you to list some fish of interest you can get locally. I used to live in a large city, and am now on the outskirts of a small one. The fish I would have easily gotten where I was are radically different from what I see where I am, and it's that way for lots of people.

I could suggest some neat fish, but it could just be torture if you can't get them, or if special ordering them is really expensive.

Blue spot African Tetras look amazing they get pretty big though, just came across them looking at fish from Cameroon as West African species would be good for this area's water as it is soft and acidic, I suppose a small jewel Cichlid could be good but maybe a little too much on the aggressive side

Speaking of the Killifish group of fish I've just came across the Blue Gularis and think that might be what I go for now. As for what Tankmates I'm not sure yet. But saw that and thought it was beautiful and they get a fair size while still being manageable. Can you keep them on their own or are they best in pairs?

I've kept the blue gularis alone. It only lives about 2 years, so most people who like them try to breed them so they can continue enjoying them. They'll eat small enough fish.

They're best kept at around 21-22 degrees, and will burn out fast warmer. That can limit the choice of tankmates. They won't like other fish (except in their version of recipes). They are grumpy. But they are so beautiful.

That's really sad because they are beautiful and you're right with such specific temperatures to stay at it does limit things. Absolutely stunning fish though.

That's really sad because they are beautiful and you're right with such specific temperatures to stay at it does limit things. Absolutely stunning fish though.
I guess this limits me to something hardier like a jewel Cichlid or something as the centrepiece.

What size tank are you planning for? I keep mainly predators and have done so for over 20 years but mine are mainly larger fish but I have a couple of ideas size of tank dependant

You're down the road from me I am in Bromborough Wirral

When I talked about things like South American Cichlids on another forum I was told for 4 Inch pair at least I'd need a 40 gallon breeder which I think is 150 litres. I'm looking at other types of smallish predators now but I can't find much that size. Ideally I'd start off with a smaller tank so it's not too much to take on for a beginner. Still gotta get a tank and cycle it etc. the water in this area is soft and acidic so I would have to get fish that would be ok in that type of water. Yeah that's not too far away.

Cheers

I am a bit daft today, but what is considered a predator? Arent all fish that eat other things than algae essentially sort of predators? Just curios, because I am getting dario hysgion soon, and I consider that to be a predator, will hunt fry, hunts food and wont accept dry. I believe they may (MAY!) work with a betta if that is the setup?

Yeah, in theory all, if not most you could consider predatory in some way or another but I'm talking about those that will take insects and live foods but would take smaller fish if given the chance, I prefer predators with teeth type of thing... I'm obviously not planning on giving them feeder fish as I don't want to risk parasites etc, just having those fish would be good enough just the way they look and observing their behaviour, see how they hit their bloodworm or flakes or pellets or whatever they're fed, I just think they're better to look at than the general community fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back