Melafix and Pimafix

Mrs Arrogance

Reaction score
Is there anybody that can advise me on what safe length of time I can continue to use Melafix and Pimafix. I have been using it for 2 weeks now, the 1st week I was doing 25% water changes daily due to a high Nitrite problem. This has now reduced dramatically but it still isn't perfect yet. This last week I haven't done a water change as the levels have settled, and continued to add the M and P, due to the fact I have a Cherry Barb that has a split fin, from what I thought was the cause of stress due to the high Nitrite. Her fins are clamped slightly and another Cherry Barb's fins are clamped. I have noticed both Cherry Barb's 'Flicking' occasionally, and the one with the split fin has got a slight marking on her scales, which I think she had when we bought her. The fin doesn't appear to be healing and I wander whether I should just do the 25% water change today as it is the last day of treatment and place a carbon filter pad to eliminate the tank of all M and P, in the vain hope that because the water levels are better the fin will heal itself as there is less stress on the fish? Or do I continue to add the M and P after I have done the water change? How long does it usually take for the fins to heal?

Water Statistics:

PH 7.4
Ammonia 0.0 - 0.1
Nitrite 0.2
Nitrate 15

Any advice is very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Claire.

If she has clamped fins stop using the meds, split fins can heal on there own with good water quality, stop using the med two weeks is long enough, do a water change and add black carbon back to the tank to remove the meds.

Thanks for the reply. I have carried out the water change and added the carbon filter. Nitrite is still at 0.2 but hopefully it won't be long before it's zero.

Thanks again,

Claire.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back