Medium Sized Fish For Community

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

black_bull

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm going to be setting up a community tank, and I need suggestions for fish that are about 3-5 inches and are peaceful. Also, they need to be able to do well in average water conditions as far as pH and hardness (neutral pH, medium-hard hardness). Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks for reading :) :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Why do you need to know what size tank? All I asked for are suggestions for fish. Obviously, I am not going to overstock my tank or provide a bad living environment for the fish, but even if I was, that's frankly my business and nobody else's. Long story short, if you can't bring yourself to suggest fish to me without knowing what size tank I have, don't.

Jeez, I just read that and I really sounded like an a**hole. :rolleyes: I probably misinterpreted that post, and if I did, I apologize. Anyway, didn't mean to seem that way, but people on this forum always DEMAND what size tank someone has and that irritates me, so forgive my jumping to conclusions. Again, sorry about that. :)

The tank will probably be between 40 and 100 US gallons.

Mollys, swordtails, khuli loachs, albino corys, danios of various sorts? Becareful with stocking livebearers as getting the right size group and gender ratios are very important. Always research your fish thoroughly before you get them, try not to get offended when people ask you for your tank size/how many gallons it holds as people don't want to suggest fish that could be too big/active/agressive for your tank.

the reason people ask for the size of tanks is that fish have different needs. Bigger fish will need bigger tanks, but some are also much more active swimmers than others.

oscars get to 12-16 inches and can live in a 4 feet 77 gallon tank, whereas bala sharks get to 12-16 inches and need a 6 feet 200 gallon tank

people want to give you the best advice possible and they need as much info as possible to do so.

as for your tank, pearl gouramis would do well and grow to 5 inches. You could also get bolivian rams as noted

Congo Tetras

Took the words right out of my mouth BigC! With some upside-down catfish and a pair of kribs. Throw in some anubias mopani driftwood and you have a really pretty West African biotope. :) Though the kribs can be agressive if breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back