Me Again! Algae/plant Question.

yes, weeks.

a 2kg last approx 4month on a 125l. All depends on lighting levels, plant mass, plant species etc

Get the second link (£10 bottle) then add 3 drops of bromothyl blue. Can be bought in a low range ph test kit, or sometimes drop checkers are supplied with them like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aquarium-CO2-Glass-D...%3A1|240%3A1318

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
yes that is fine, that ph test kit (bromothyl blue) is what gives the 4dkh the colour, and tests the ph, because when it turns green, the ph will be 6.6, the kh is 4 so we have around 30ppm of CO2.

Thi s happens by the CO2 gassing off into the drop checker from the tank water.

Excellent thank you, I'll get round to getting a drop checker as soon as I can then. Just got to wait for the rest of my stuff to arrive and I'll get the new kit set up as well.

Many thanks.

Ok all my stuff's finally here, just a quick run-through the setup if I may.

The wheel on the regulator is turned 'off' as far as I can tell, it won't turn any closer to " - ", so connect that to the canister, couple of inches of co2 tubing to the solenoid (I assume the arrow is the flow) (And what are those tiny rubber rings for that came with it?), then solenoid onto the diffuser, turn the regulator up to what, 1.5-2? Alter the flow with the needle valve until about 2/3bps, sorted!

Sound about right?

Many thanks.

Thats about it. Seems you have already researched ;)

Without a DC keep an eye on the fish at 2-3bps.

AC

Leave it at 2-3. You need the 30ppm, however if you find fish gasping at the surface for O then lower it and get some surface turbulence going. Takes some trial and error with or without a DC.

When I say fish gasping I don't mean going up for air and back down as fish tend to do this anyway. You just notice it more because you are looking for it when adjusting the CO2 :) I mean staying up there and literally gasping for air.

Always best to set CO2 up when you can allow a full day to adjust it, and possibly 2 days to get it perfect, after which you should be able to forget about it.

AC

Leave it at 2-3. You need the 30ppm, however if you find fish gasping at the surface for O then lower it and get some surface turbulence going. Takes some trial and error with or without a DC.

When I say fish gasping I don't mean going up for air and back down as fish tend to do this anyway. You just notice it more because you are looking for it when adjusting the CO2 :) I mean staying up there and literally gasping for air.

Always best to set CO2 up when you can allow a full day to adjust it, and possibly 2 days to get it perfect, after which you should be able to forget about it.

AC

Well I have most of the next week to fiddle with it, I'm going to build it up tomorrow then I'll see how it goes. I'll be getting a drop checker soon to aid me anyway.

Doesn't matter if it takes a week to get to the right ppm. If oyu get a little algae then so what. As long as the circulation and ferts are OK and there is enough plantmass then once the CO2 is sorted the algae will soon disappear again

AC

Just a question about conecting it all up, this may be a little odd for me to explain though.

When attatching the co2 line to the needle valve or the solenoid, do you completely unscrewed the nuts, insert the line onto the nozzle and then feed the nut over the length of the line and tighten it? (I've done this and although the nut is tight against the line and the nozzle, it's not closed entirely) or do you just open the nut a little bit and feed the line into the gap? Sorry if that's a bit strange to ask but I don't want co2 leaking out everywhere.

Also, is there any use for these tiny little white plastic rings that came with the solenoid valve?

Many thanks.

Just a question about conecting it all up, this may be a little odd for me to explain though.

When attatching the co2 line to the needle valve or the solenoid, do you completely unscrewed the nuts, insert the line onto the nozzle and then feed the nut over the length of the line and tighten it? (I've done this and although the nut is tight against the line and the nozzle, it's not closed entirely) or do you just open the nut a little bit and feed the line into the gap? Sorry if that's a bit strange to ask but I don't want co2 leaking out everywhere.

Also, is there any use for these tiny little white plastic rings that came with the solenoid valve?

Many thanks.

I would think the tiny little white rings are spare fibre washers or something similar to it.

You will struggle to get the tube on if you don't unscrew the nuts. If you look at the 'nozzle' it has a barbed end. The tube would be sealed on its own over this barbed nozzle. The nut is there to make doubly sure. Therefore it doesn't need to be overly tight.

AC

Excellent, I'm just cleaning the diffuser off now and then putting it all together.

Thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

Back