Marine Aquascape Tips

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
we've been thinking about a bit of a redesign of our tank, the fuge is up and runnign and the sump should be soon so we should be getting some equipment out of the tank. The layout's really basic at the moment, just a wall of LR with a few different levels and corals dotted around. It doesn't look bad as such but it's nothing special.

We've talked a little and we're kind of stuck for ideas of how to scape it, pretty much everything we know about aquascaping is for FW with plants and stuff and this is just completely different. Soooo has anyone got some basic tips, are there any standard shapes or just ideas you guys have had thta we could have a bash at doing.

Just some quick tips, as I believe you cant tell someone what good aquascaping is, because its all individual taste, and its entirely up to you guys.

- ONLY buy pieces you can view. Online shopping is great, but if you want strong pieces for aquascaping, with lots of life and great shapes, your only going to see that in person, your stuck with what you get sent. All companies claim "Great life, best colour, awesome shapes...." etc. It is a gamble.

- I prefer LR rubble and small pieces now. I also prefer Tonga branch rock (or similar dead acropora branches) for aquascaping, rather than "rocks". Its easier to maneuver, looks great, and its VERY easy to shift/change to a completely different scape later.

Just a few tips, as said, its up to you. It might pay to cruise some larger boards and their pictures to get a gauge of what you prefer, by putting tanks next to each other! :D

aye our lfs has some branching lr curing at the moment so were gonna get a little of that when it's done. it's a shame we've got some really big chunks of LR which I think will prove difficult to work with, reckon it'd look really obvious if we just broke them up into smaller pieces??

aye our lfs has some branching lr curing at the moment so were gonna get a little of that when it's done. it's a shame we've got some really big chunks of LR which I think will prove difficult to work with, reckon it'd look really obvious if we just broke them up into smaller pieces??

Ive done that before! :p I needed some LR Rubble for frags, so I just broke up a piece I hated. It does look obvious for a while, whilst all the white calcium carbonate structure is showing, but that soon gets covered in Coralline, algaes etc. You could trade it, or swap or sell pieces you dont want aswell.

pretty much what i suspected.

think i might just trawl google images for pretty tanks and inspiration

I think the best way to aquascape your tank is to spend some time getting to know your rocks :lol:

Take a while to look at the rocks you have. I found that I would look at the tank and think "that rock would look better standing up/over there" etc. If you're happy with the overall shape of the rockwork then tinkering with the position/orientation of you rocks could be all that's needed.

I think there are some basic "shapes" when it comes to aquascaping a marine tank.

1. The Wall - As it sounds, a wall of rocks stretching pretty much the whole length of the tank. I personally think this looks better if it's not too uniform in height. It's probably not the best way to scape your tank IME as you can't see the back of the tank and it takes alot of room on the floor of the tank so you limit your substrate space. Another thing to consider is that when you have a "wall" you don't get very good water movement over all of your rocks, this could theoretically have an effect on filtration.

2. Two Islands - Again it's a pretty simple idea. Pile the rocks into 2 seperate mounds. I personally think this gives the best aesthetics. It gives you lots more scope for coral placement than a wall arrangement and you get much better water movement around your rockwork. I have found that it makes the tank look more open and more spacious and gives you a central sandy area. I try not to pile the rocks too tightly and leave some holes in the islands so I can see pretty much all the tank. One benefit is it gives definate territories for your fish. I find my clownfish lives inside the left hand island with the peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp. My damsel and cowfish both sleep in the right hand island with the goby. All the fish hang out in the calmer central area in the day.

3. Atoll - Basically one large island. This works best in cube tanks IMO but it can be done in long tanks too. Has the same benefits as 2 islands. The atoll could be in the middle of the tank or placed to either side. It would give the maximum sand area if that is a consideration for you. With some creative scaping you could create bridges and caves underneath to provide hidey holes and maximise water flow.

4. Lagoon - This can be either L or U shaped and tends to work better in bigger tanks. Basically you create a L/U shaped wall with a central protected area. This is good if you want to keep low-flow loving fish/corals with higher flow species. I have also seen this done in bow-front aquariums to great effect.

How you decide to scape your tank all depends on a combination of personal taste and what you plan to keep in it. I personally started with a wall shape and have recently changed it to 2 islands which was a great improvement. I then moved a few more rocks to create a small wall between the islands which has formed a kind of lagoon effect :lol:

This was our wall scape
S5000261.jpg

This was my first attempt at the 2 islands look
S5000406_edited.jpg

This is it now...
S5000488_edited.jpg

A bit blurry but you get the idea :blush:

thanks sianeds, might have a bash at the two islands thing, see what it looks like :good:

Cos i like the wall idea with lots and lots of corals

i was thinking of using some of the aqua scaping rules used in planted tanks on the marine tank...
such as the use of the golden ratio and the use of negative and positive space....

what i was thinking was esentially to devide the tank in half from back left to front right..... and then slope a wall of LR up to the very surface of the water... so that in the left hand side there would be plenty of swimming space and we could also place taller corals there (like that branching thingy we saw in PFT).
and on the slope we could pick out the optimal points with the brighter corals such as the candy cane ....

I`ll explain more when you come home...

Cos i like the wall idea with lots and lots of corals

i was thinking of using some of the aqua scaping rules used in planted tanks on the marine tank...
such as the use of the golden ratio and the use of negative and positive space....

what i was thinking was esentially to devide the tank in half from back left to front right..... and then slope a wall of LR up to the very surface of the water... so that in the left hand side there would be plenty of swimming space and we could also place taller corals there (like that branching thingy we saw in PFT).
and on the slope we could pick out the optimal points with the brighter corals such as the candy cane ....

I`ll explain more when you come home...

maybe..... draw me a picture for when i get home! :good:

isn't that pretty much what Ski's done with his? but i think his slope's the other way?

After twaling through skis thread for half an hour....

yep thats what i had in mind...

ha ha

while i do like Ski's tank.... I wanna do something different, I don't think our tanks long enough to do that well, slope would be too steep :/

ha ha

while i do like Ski's tank.... I wanna do something different, I don't think our tanks long enough to do that well, slope would be too steep :/

Buy more L.R to make it less steep =)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back