Mangroves In Refugium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

1entra

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi there,

Does anybody here have experience with growing/keeping mangroves in a refugium/slump? They are supposed to be recommended as an addition to macroalgae to help keep phosphates and nitrates low. I am thinking about getting some for my refugium to grow alside cheato.

Was just wondering if anybody else is using them and if they are a good idea or not as I do not know much about them? How big do they grow? What are their light/nutrient requirements? Anything else I should know about them? They would be grown under a 11w 6700k full spectrum tube, would this be adequate ????

Cheerz :good:

So does nobody on this website use mangroves to aid the filteration of their (reef) tanks??? -_-

Few people do because mangroves require some really hefty light and are difficult to grow in true marine/reef specific gravities of 1.026. They prefer a little less than that, and most reefers keep their sg high. They look great when you do grow them though...

Thanks for the reply SkiFletch. :good: I will try growing 1 in my refugium and see how I get on. They do not cost much to buy anyway!

On the other hand, an employee at my LFS grows mangroves in his budget fuge with no lights, only incidental day light. They thrive and apparently remove a ton of nutrient. Trim them like a bonsai tree. When I set up my fuge I'll definately be trying them. Luckily for me, mangroves grow naturally like weeds in many areas close to my house.

i have three mangroves in my refugium. I have them under 2 40 watt vho aqua sun lamps for 14 hours a day opposit of the main tank lighting. i have them come on 1 hour before the main tank lights go off, and they stay on 1 hour after the main tank lights turn on). They all three have a good root system. at first i floated them at the top of the sump with styrofoam so the roots would grow and expand. I have 3 different types of macro algaes as well and I add madnesium (spelling) for the mangroves. very very slow growers. I have them in a refugium that is 37 inches long and 18 inches wide.. the actual sand bed is approximately 23 inches long by 18" wide.

Thanks for the reply amstar15. So have you noticed the mangroves have any positive/negative effects on your system ie. on the water chemistry? Also do you use anything to dose/feed them?

Cheerz :)

I add madnesium (spelling) for the mangroves.. they just remove a ton of nutrients, hardly any amonia or nitrates.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back