Male Or Female Jack Dempsey?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nooo my jd is the least shy fish in my tank he is constantly swimming round when i am in the room he owns the tank so thats probably why although he was when i first got him i just think they need a little time to settle down and not just claim territory but the tank well mine has anyway and i hope mine is a male i love the males more

yeaaaa hope it is id love a male i always wondered because its always had intense colouring compaired to female pictures cant wait till this bad boy gets 7-8"

yea give it a month and he will be fine they do take a little while to settle in JD'S but he will be fine soon swimming around eating anything and everything

I would say the first 2 look male.

This on the other hand looks female.

DSC00102-1-1.jpg

For reference here is a pair of JD (female top).

001-1-1.jpg

i would say mine looks more like the male tbh has the same colouring and darkness

i would say mine looks more like the male tbh has the same colouring and darkness

Coulour doesnt actually have anything to do with it, that female just happens to look a bit lighter than the male. When breeding the female can go almost black. Its the amount of blue round the gills/mouth.

jd.jpg

well i heard that males have speckles and females have splodges of blue mine has speeckles

Males will be larger and have longer more pointed fins with very little blue on the gill cover if any and will be in dots. The female will have splotchs on her gill cover and have less color throughout the body. The female also tends to be more "squat" in shape.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back