Male Fighting Fish Fins Stuck Together

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gregw

Reaction score
I have a male siamese fish and up until today he appeared to be fine, since I switched the tank light on it appears his tail fins are all stuck together. I did a 30% water change yesterday and the temperature is fine. I just did a water test and all the Ammonia, Nitrates etc were all at low levels. Just wondered if anyone could help explain why? Or whether its a problem where I need to get some sort of treatment.

Hi
We had the same problem with Netty's "Strudel". The first time we did regular water changes, increased aeration, kept lighting to a minimum and gave him daily flaring exercise with a mirror. It took a while but it did work :good:

However, it happened again last week, no apparent cause or reason. Sadly we lost him overnight. I dont know, but maybe there was an underlying problem and the fins were just a symptom.

If he starts struggling to get to the surface, either lower the water level or pop him in a breeding net.

clamped fins can be from low temperature, poor water quality or skin parasites like costia or chilodonella

If the water and temp are fine then get some Waterlife Protozin. This should clear it up if it's a skin parasite.

clamped fins can be from low temperature, poor water quality or skin parasites like costia or chilodonella

If the water and temp are fine then get some Waterlife Protozin. This should clear it up if it's a skin parasite.

Colin I haven't seen the Waterlife products here in MN, where do you get it? I don't know where Greg is from but what's a comparable Mardel or API product ?

sorry no idea where you would get it in the USA.
a general medication containing malachite green and copper should do the job. White spot treatment & broad spectrum anti-baterial treatments often have these chemicals in.

Came in from work today and he really ain't looking too well his fins looked more clamped and he isn't doing much... non of the other fish in the tank are showing any symptoms at all though. I think he's struggling to reach the top of the tank because of the filter creating a current in the water. Do I switch it off? But that could cause problems to the water quality. I've raised the temp in the tank so its now a cosy 28 instead of 26/27 and since I cant get any Protozin today or tomorrow i've added some anti white spot treatment in hope this might clear up any skin parasite, I just hope the poor little guy pulls through :unsure:

Thanks for your help guys (and girls)

Sorry to hear he's not too good. If he's struggling to get to the surface you can either lower the water level or put him in a small tub with a couple of inches of water in and float it in the tank with him in there. Will make it much easier to him to get to the surface for air. Good luck and let us know how you get on :good:

you can try changing the direction of the filter outlet. Aim it towards the side instead of having it go across the tank. This will reduce the currents in the tank but still filter the water.
Make sure there is plenty of surface turbulence to keep the oxygen levels high while treating as medications reduce the oxygen levels in the water.
Remove any carbon from the filter while treating.

ok.. so the story continues and Dave is still alive and battling on. I finally managed to get to the local pet shop (or not so local) and told them about poor Dave, I also said I was after a product called "Waterlife Protozin" but of course... they didn't stock it. They only stocked treatments by a company called "Interpet", she then told me that a product called "Methylene Blue" should do the trick as it is an effective treatment for "protozoan parasites and fungus". So I rushed home and added the stuff in (followed the instructions don't worry :good:). Though when I added the stuff (I took the sponge out my filter first as instructed) the tank has gone totally dark blue, I mean I know its called Methylene blue but holy sh*t its blue alright. Anyone know how long it takes for that to dissolve through? Because like, I can hardly see the fish :rolleyes: .

Cheers guys and lets hope Dave gets better :good:

Hi
Sorry, i haven't had to use Meth blue, so dont know. Used Myxacin and the water goes green fron a short while,

did you use the amount directed on the packaging for the gallons of water you have? too much meds in too little water can do that. if he starts gasping or hanging at the surface a 50% water change and no aditional meds should help.

meth blue does turn your water very dark blue, its normal, also it adds oxygen to the water so shouldn't have any gasping. over the course of the week it will slowly fade out, and then if you do a big water change and add carbon into the filter when you complete the course it should remove the rest of it,

where did you put your filter sponge? I ask because unless you put it in a tank with some fish or are feeding the bacteria in it with some form of ammonia it will probably die.

Methylene blue will wipe out filter bacteria and deals with fungus but doesn't normally affect skin parasites. It can also kill plants. But see how it goes over the next few days/week it might work.
Methylene blue will also stain the silicon holding the tank together. It doesn't weaken the silicon at all but it does make it a lovely blue colour for the rest of time.

Keep the feeding right down because there is no filter in the tank. Monitor the water quality and if necessary do a water change to dilute any ammonia build up.

Most reactions

trending

Back