Male Dwarf Gourami With Female Betta And Guppies?

trianglekitty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've been thinking of adding a female betta to my 20 gallon, but I'm not sure if it would work with my dwarf gourami. I'm also not sure if a female betta would be an issue with guppies.

The stock list is as follows (or will be, right now the tank has only the gourami and 5 guppies)

1 male dwarf gourami
6 rasaboras (still debating on the type)
6 male guppies (may bump this to 8)
6 panda cory cats

My dwarf tends to be good with existing fish, but attacks newcomers. I would move him out of the tank when I introduced the female, then put him back in to help prevent this. I'm more worried the female would go at him, or go after the guppies.

Thanks!

I would advise against, although there is a possibility of it working. I think your fears are well founded.. I would not be surprised if the Betta did harass the others too much. Personally, I would bump up the rasbora and guppy numbers.

I would advise against, although there is a possibility of it working. I think your fears are well founded.. I would not be surprised if the Betta did harass the others too much. Personally, I would bump up the rasbora and guppy numbers.

How many of each would you suggest?

Probably to 8 of each, but that would be the upper side of what an average tank that size can easily take.

The DG i used to keep had a tendancy to prey on the poor male guppies in the tank, and I think at least 1 died due to being constantly harrassed/nipped.

Probably to 8 of each, but that would be the upper side of what an average tank that size can easily take.

The tank filter is for a 50 gallon and it's a biowheel, so I'm thinking it would probably be okay as long as I kept up weekly water changes. Also, the rasaboras I'm thinking of are very small- they're flashier than the harlequins. 2 extra of them probably wouldn't make a difference.

The tank filter is for a 50 gallon and it's a biowheel, so I'm thinking it would probably be okay as long as I kept up weekly water changes. Also, the rasaboras I'm thinking of are very small- they're flashier than the harlequins. 2 extra of them probably wouldn't make a difference.
I don't see a need to up the numbers of fish you have but they would prefer it. I would also advise against keeping Bettas (whatever sex) with Dwarf Gouramis, especially if they are male Dwarf Gouramis. The Beta would get battered by the DG :crazy: :hey:

Okay, no betta for me. I may go ahead and just set up my 5 gallon that the gourami used to be and use it for a betta. The real reason I wanted one was for my housemate- she agreed to the 20 gallon tank if she could have a purple fish, but there aren't really any tropical community fish other than bettas that can be considered purple, at least not that I've found.

My dwarf has been in with two guppies in the past and he was fine with them, and he's coping well with the five that are in now- I do admit I'm a little concerned. Right now he'd laying low because he's new to the tank and he's a little nervous, but when he perks up some he might get nippy. He did kill a guppy in the past that was new to his tank. The tank is well planted though, with some silk plants as well that kind of arch up over the top to provide some surface cover, so here's hoping that will help. If not, he might end up in the 5 gallon by himself, which really isn't the situation I want for him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back