Lying On Bottom Of Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish_mouth

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My betta is constanly lying on the bottom of his tank. Its like his bodys to heavy for him to swim. He swims for a little bit but then falls back down. The other betta next to him floats so im a bit worried about the one that sinks.

Daniel

sounds like a swim bladder problem < little fish organ that keeps them neutrialy buyont in the water> cause by bacterica infection , go to the pet store and ask for some anit bacterial meds, not just melifix though, that more of a topical not realy medicine, mostly helps their fins to grow back. maycine 1 and 2 would be good although my spelling is way off.

somebody get my spelling?

Maracyn 1 and 2

Although it's not always bacterial. I've had a betta have constipation issues that caused this even when he didn't appear overly bloated.

What size is the tank and what sort of water change interval are you doing Fish_mouth?

I think the tanks about 2.5 gallons. Should i give him a pea if hes constipated? Do i get maracyn 1 or 2? I will be going to the petshop in 2 days, is there any thing i can do in the meantime?

if he was mine I would put him in clean water, lower the level, no gravel so you can see if he "goes" float a plastic plant or something on the surface, and hopefully he will rest on that so he can breath. A smidge of aqua salt in his tank and perhaps raise the temp a tiny bit. Try giving him a pea but take any uneaten out, or live food if you can get any.

I think the tanks about 2.5 gallons. Should i give him a pea if hes constipated? Do i get maracyn 1 or 2? I will be going to the petshop in 2 days, is there any thing i can do in the meantime?
Both Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2. They can be combined and make a broad spectrum treatment. The downside is the price. (i believe around $20).

Even if he does not have a bacterial infection, it's good medication to keep on hand. With infections, the faster you treat, the better chance you have of saving your guy.

If it turns out that he really does have a bacterial/fungal infection, you'll need it anyways.

Most reactions

trending

Back